Thread: Can you swap any linux kernel with another?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can you swap any linux kernel with another?

I only understand the very basics of the Linux kernel, but is it possible to install new ones, remove old ones, or replace one with another without any regard in what it's intended for?

To clarify - Say I have Ubuntu Desktop and I wanted to install or replace the kernel that came with the CD with the Ubuntu Server kernel instead even though it's intentionally built for Ubuntu Server.

If I were to get more bold, could I freely install or replace kernels from any Linux variant even ancient ones like the one for DSL Linux.

Thanks in advance
    I speak English, ちょっと日本語を話します

Beans

Re: Can you swap any linux kernel with another?

Yep that's possible you could even get the sources from http://kernel.org/ and build your own version.

Beans
    Hidden!

Basically yes, but be prepared for an avalanche of bugs...

Beans
    Distro

When you say wealth of bugs, are you referring to how buggy the individual kernel is or that it would cause several problems in general when freely swapping kernels despite it still being possible?
    Last edited by wiseguy12851; November 7th, 2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: wording correction at end

Beans

why not install the server version with your current version? all you'd have to do is restart to change from kernal to kernal XD
    its safer to my understanding too.

Beans
    Distro

That's what I was referring to by "replacing or installing". When you boot into the other kernels (whichever it is), will everything still work just as smoothly as before (except for any bugs or errors in the new kernel).