Thread: Compile kernel for older processors (i586)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Question Compile kernel for older processors (i586)

Is it possible to compile an Ubuntu Kernel for sources for an i586 processor after Maverick (10.10)? I found this note [3] here, that indicates that it is possible.

Which option(s) in the .config file should one then enable to compile a newer Ubuntu kernel without cmov (and cx8?) support? Would selection a 486 type processor be all that's needed?

I'm currently running 10.04 on a Vortex processor for thin clients, so if there is a way to use a newer version I'd like to explore it.
    Last edited by lifeboy; November 6th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: remove superfluous http:// from link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compile kernel for older processors (i586)

Quote Originally Posted by lifeboy View Post
    Is it possible to compile an Ubuntu Kernel for sources for an i586 processor after Maverick (10.10)? I found this note [3] here, that indicates that it is possible.

Which option(s) in the .config file should one then enable to compile a newer Ubuntu kernel without cmov (and cx8?) support? Would selection a 486 type processor be all that's needed?

I'm currently running 10.04 on a Vortex processor for thin clients, so if there is a way to use a newer version I'd like to explore it.
    That is for the Ubuntu built and patched kernels... I'm wondering if that is aN Ubuntu thng or a Linux Kernel thing? I don't know. Because when I test kernels and/or have kernel bugs, launchpad has me test it against the mainline PPA, which is from the Upstream source code, without any Ubuntu thrown in yet. Having said that- Is your "condition" true for the generic mainline kernels without the Ubuntu added patches and extras? Have you tried one?

Here you go.
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Download the "x86" image and header file, with a matching "-all" header file. Put them into their own directory, go to that directory from a terminal and
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 6th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Compile kernel for older processors (i586)

I don't have the time at the moment to investigate this, but I will in future. In a sense this is a scouting question of sorts, to see what I can learn from the experience of others. Thanks for your comments.