Thread: Bash script to 'undo' a copy

Beans

Bash script to 'undo' a copy

I just accidentally cp'ed a load of files into /usr/ and need a script that will read the original directory and remove those files from the corresponding locations in /usr/

For instance hello/ contains the files 1 and 2. I used:

sudo cp -r hello/ /usr/

/usr/ now contains 1 and 2.

I need a bash script that will read the contents of hello/ recursively and delete them in /usr/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bash script to 'undo' a copy

First of all: Next time, please be careful. If you are executing commands as root double-check before hitting enter. That simple rule has saved my life countless times.

Secondly, I am only giving you a hint. This code is not tested and I do not take responsibility if it destroys something.

Here you go:

Code:
    find PUT_SOURCE_DIR_HERE|while read i; 
    do
        echo "deleting /usr/$i"
        rm -rf "/usr/$i" >/dev/null 2>&1
    done
    A probably much safer way would be to
    Code:
    ls -ltr /usr
    which will make a list of all files in /usr sorted by last modification time, and then deleting them manually.

Beans

Yes, for the record, the script you posted is highly destructive and recursively delees everything in any folder found, even if it isn't part of the original directory structure.

There's too much to delete by hand, so I'll be tampering around with the script myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Of course, if you copied something like bin/foo to /usr/bin/foo, my script will delete /usr/bin which would be inadvisable..

There is no way to know which directories you copied from the source need to stay in /usr (because they're needed there) solely from filenames. One could use modification times, but even that is not really safe.

Beans

I think I'll just run the script without -rf and clean up the empty directories in another way. Deleting all empty directories in /usr/ shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

I would use the find command and check the creation or modification date of each file and move them into a separate directory based on that value using the -exec switch that comes with find.

Then you can check what is in that directory.

Do _not_ rm -rf as root unless you are _totally_ sure. Anything else is just bad advice.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How about opening the /usr directory in nautilus, use a list view and sort by Date. All the files you accidentally copied will have the same date and time (time within a few seconds or so) Even with a 2 or 3 hundred files it then shouldn't be too tough to review for any that you may want to keep, and block-select the rest for deletion or moving to a different directory.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.