Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a Firewall for Your Ubuntu Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Creating a Firewall for Your Ubuntu Desktop

This was awesome thanks. This and the security thread for newbies helped me get my firewall set up properly and inspired me to learn AppArmor. I finally got the AppArmor Firefox profile customized for me and working. More secure but didn't lose the functionality.
    Last edited by BigCityCat; November 13th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityCat View Post
    This was awesome thanks. This and the security thread for newbies helped me get my firewall set up properly and inspired me to learn AppArmor. I finally got the AppArmor Firefox profile customized for me and working. More secure but didn't lose the functionality.
    Great I'm glad it helped

Good luck with Apparmor if you have any questions feel free to ask http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049698

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This was perfect! Great detail! And you were willing to update your post and took suggestions!
    A torn jacket is soon mended; but hard words bruise the heart of a child.
    ~ H. W. Longfellow (1807-1882)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Do you know if the log file rolls over? I want to be able to log, but don't want a huge logfile to swim through.

I guess I could cron something, but automagic from the provider usually works better.
    A torn jacket is soon mended; but hard words bruise the heart of a child.
    ~ H. W. Longfellow (1807-1882)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoYhetti View Post
    Do you know if the log file rolls over? I want to be able to log, but don't want a huge logfile to swim through.

I guess I could cron something, but automagic from the provider usually works better.
    Thanks I'm glad it worked out for you. The log file for which? UFW or the iptables script? Both logs should continually roll ufw.log for ufw/gufw syslog for iptables blocks.

Beans

I think there should be a link to this thread in the stickies, very well documented. tutorials like this are what gets people from thinking they need to do something to actually implementing the available tools. Let's not let good threads like this go to waste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by needhelppeeps View Post
    I think there should be a link to this thread in the stickies, very well documented. tutorials like this are what gets people from thinking they need to do something to actually implementing the available tools. Let's not let good threads like this go to waste.
    I'm very glad it was helpful to you, if you have any questions or issues feel free to ask

Beans
    Distro

Dangertux

I have a small problem. I was trying to play spades on aolgames but apparently the firewall is blocking me from playing. When I turn off the firewall I can play, and with it on I can not. I googled ports and java but nothing definitive. Can you help me out with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityCat View Post
    Dangertux

I have a small problem. I was trying to play spades on aolgames but apparently the firewall is blocking me from playing. When I turn off the firewall I can play, and with it on I can not. I googled ports and java but nothing definitive. Can you help me out with this?
    I've never really used AOL games myself, however from what I'm able to see from google they use the default AIM ports which are 5190 through 5193 TCP. You could try allowing outbound from those.

Alternatively you can do this in a terminal

Code:
    sudo watch netstat -anlp
    Then start trying to play the game you want and see what ports connections are being made on (note the outbound ports and protocol it may be but probably isn't UDP). Then open up those ports as appropriate. Hope this helps, AOL's documentation of the games was less than impressive so this is kind of a guess, give the netstat some trial and error and you'll get it eventually.

Side tip : Always bet nil (it works for me lol)

Beans
    Distro

Okay I got it. Thanks once again. I keep learning new tricks. 443,80,8996

I am assuming that 8996 was the offender.

Thanks
    Last edited by BigCityCat; November 15th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast