Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 on Asus k53v

Beans

11.10 on Asus k53sv

Installing Ubuntu 11.10 on my Asus k53sv.

Just tested the live CD:

• Mousepad two finger scroll working
    • FN and F1 to F12 keys working:
      • Volume up
      • Volume down
      • Mute
      • Brighter
      • Darker
      • Calculator
      • Blank Screen
      • Sleep
      • Disconnect Network
      • Play/Pause
      • Skip Forward
      • Skip Backward
      • Stop

• WiFi

Not working:

• Optimus Intel/Nvidia swap. DMESG mumbles about Nouveau and DRM... Looking up a solution to pull the Nvidia down and the Intel up on the 11.04 Asus threads.

I think that is it.

Track pad stopped working after sleep. Only happened once.

After install, I've followed this 15 things I did after installing Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, but didn't install Gnome Shell since Unity was all the eye candy I was looking for nor did I install the Proprietary Hardware Drivers. I'll get to that latter.

Fixing Nvidia:

I followed Cusician's thread here for this, but there were some changes and new dependencies.

sudo apt-get install git

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install virtualgl

git clone https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee

cd Bumblebee/

sudo ./install
    After instillation, the following text shows:
    ===== Installation finished =====
    You need to add users which are allowed to use Bumblebee to the group:
    sudo usermod -a -G bumblebee username-here
    To ensure that drivers and are loaded correctly, you need to reboot.

Programs do not run themselves automatically with Bumblebee. If you would
    like to run 'glxgears' with Bumblebee, you have to run the below command:
    optirun glxgears

There is also a GUI for Bumblebee written in Python: bumblebee-ui
    It can be downloaded from https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bumblebee-ui

If you found a bug, have a suggestion or an issue, please create an issue at
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/issues
    You may also run bumblebee-bugreport if needed

If you are not satisfied, you can uninstall Bumblebee by running:
    /usr/local/bin/bumblebee-uninstall

Special thanks to Martin Juhl (MrMEEE) who initiated the project. His website
    can be found at http://www.martin-juhl.dk/

The Bumblebee Project Team
    (Don't install the Bumblebee-ui. It's experimental and doesn't work with the notification area.)
    Last edited by designerferro; November 8th, 2011 at 12:14 AM.

Beans

Re: 11.10 on Asus k53v

I am using an asus k53u laptop and my Ethernet card is not connecting to the internet, does anyone else had this problem?

Beans

I've only connected to the Internet via WiFi and cable through iPhone Hotspot. Lan was working in 11.04, no reason not to work in this version, but have to try that.

Beans

I just successfully installed Ubuntu 11.10 (with Gnome-shell) via Wubi on my new Asus a53s (a.k.a. k53sv) with Core i7 and Nvidia/Intel graphics, and I thought I'd include links to the guides here that I used, since others may find them useful.

I tried both Ironhide and Bumblebee to enable Optimus graphics switching, and found that Ironhide gives both better performance with the Nvidia card (~700fps as compared to ~150fps with Bumblebee) as well as better power management, extending my battery life.

To install Ironhide, I followed the instructions at this site:

During installation, I was given the option to use one of several configuration scripts. I selected the one described in this thread by Thomas Krutz:

and when asked for the parameter for "ConnectedMonitor" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia, I chose "CRT-0". There was also an option to chose which image format to use to display the output from the graphics card; I used the default.

Finally, I used all of the recommendations at the bottom of this page under "4. Intel Device Tweaks":

to help improve battery life even further.

After doing all of the above and rebooting, graphics switching is working fully, and the battery life has improved from ~2hrs to ~5hrs. Hopefully with the next kernel upgrade it will get even better, but I'm definitely happy for now. I hope this info helps someone else!

Beans

Well, reading this post, I should install or Bumblee Ironhead? Required for games, 3D programming, uses heavy programs ...
    And I'm very interested to see uncut films in high definition (1080p).
    My laptop is an ASUS-SX538V K53SV.

Regards, thanks.

Beans

Hello,
    so I have been trying to follow your /these describtions on how save battery life.
    Installing ironhide I got the message acpi_call module not detected. I am running Ubunut 11.10 i686 (so 32bits).
    Any ideas on that one?

Beans

I tried Ironhide and it gives a better performance than Bumblebee but I had a fan spinning at a full speed constantly. With Bumblebee I have noticed another problem. After running anything with optirun the laptop does not suspend.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

I managed to work in Ubuntu 11.10 optimus with 100% Ironhide making a great effort and installing bumblebee to see what had better support. Ironhide Bumblebee works best for this laptop and I have no problem that I had the fan at full speed as it was in bumblebee.

Apostl3pol give many thanks to facilitate the work, people like you makes this easier, now my laptop does not have nothing against others who have nvidia and work without problems.

Thank you very much, a greeting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adraniel View Post
    I managed to work in Ubuntu 11.10 optimus with 100% Ironhide making a great effort and installing bumblebee to see what had better support. Ironhide Bumblebee works best for this laptop and I have no problem that I had the fan at full speed as it was in bumblebee.

Apostl3pol give many thanks to facilitate the work, people like you makes this easier, now my laptop does not have nothing against others who have nvidia and work without problems.

Thank you very much, a greeting.
    So do you use now Bumblebee or Ironhide?
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    So do you use now Bumblebee or Ironhide?
    You mean exactly?
    If you talk about the fan, I was not about Ironhide, for now everything perfect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast