Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 on Asus k53v

Beans

Re: 11.10 on Asus K53SV

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    It'll help, it just isn't immediately obvious. Especially if the machine is very busy.
    After the install I went for some work leaving my laptop (I was only surfing web on firefox) for nearly 1 hr and 30 min. When I returned It is still at 12 Watts. The machine was completely idle. Even now when I am working it is around 12 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by sbnwl View Post
    After the install I went for some work leaving my laptop (I was only surfing web on firefox) for nearly 1 hr and 30 min. When I returned It is still at 12 Watts. The machine was completely idle. Even now when I am working it is around 12 watts.
    Hmm, odd. Maybe that's the best you can do with that model then. Have you set ACPI_OSI=Linux in grub?
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Hmm, odd. Maybe that's the best you can do with that model then. Have you set ACPI_OSI=Linux in grub?
    My observations on this ASUS laptop suggest that 'i915.i915_enable_rc6=1'>>cuts by 5W;
    'pcie_aspm=force'>>cuts by 2W;
    'acpi_osi=Linux'>>hardly makes any difference;
    'i915.lvds_downclock=1'>>again no luck.

BTW you put "acpi_osi" in capital letters, which, I believe, should be in small letters.
    Last edited by sbnwl; March 9th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Beans

Re: 11.10 on Asus k53v

What about the FN key for enabling/disabling the touchpad? Do your brightness and volume settings reset after restart?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soissons_ View Post
    What about the FN key for enabling/disabling the touchpad? Do your brightness and volume settings reset after restart?
    Not the volume keys, Volume remains at its assigned level after reboots.
    BUT the brightness changes itself after every reboot. FN keys in both cases works fine.

You can adjust the brightness to remain at a "fixed desired" level at each reboot by following this:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local
    And input your password as asked. Then put the following line at the end of that file
    Code:
    echo 1000 | tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    Where 1000 is the "fixed desired" level of brightness in my case. You can use any value from 100 to 4500. Press ctrl+X then 'y' then "Enter" to exit with saving your changes. You will see it retains your "Desired" level of brightness through reboots.

Beans

Thanks sbnwl,

Not only is the brightness at a constant level now, i also have more levels in the lower settings!

Time for

Beans

@ Mr.BS
    You are welcome

Beans

I installed nvidia driver and specify to use nvdia card on xorg.conf, not work, on xorg log all ok except screen failed because not read edid.
    Can someone tell me the exact configuration to add on xorg.conf for screen of Asus k53v please?

Beans

12.10 upgrade for k53v

I wonder if anyone has successfully upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10? I have a problem with compiz I believe. Every time I click on any Unity launcher compiz crashes. I have Bumblebee installed but as there is no Quantal repo for ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates I am using the Precise repo but probably I do not need it anymore? Anyway could anyone share her/his experience?
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

I have completely removed bumblebee and ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates but Unity still crashes regularly.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast