Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 Thunderbird Notification Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 11.10 Thunderbird Notification Issue

In 11.10 I have my Gmail account setup in Thunderbird. When I receive a message, I get get two notifications for the same message because it appears in my regular Inbox, but also in the Important sub folder. I have looked but haven't found an option to disable the Important sub folder notification. I don't need two notifications for the same message and hate having to click both files in the message indicator to get it to go away. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Thunderbird Notification Issue

That almost sounds more like a gmail issue, possibly with filtering than a TB issue. I also have gmail setup with TB and don't receive double notifications and have a ton of filters including important setup so that's why I suggest maybe a filtering issue.

If you've already checked all the gmail settings, then post back and I'll do some investigating with my setup to see what the difference might be.

-Xout
    Bash Commands: Here
    How To Mix & Match Icon Themes: Here & Here
    Please remember to mark your thread solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I have it solved. I disabled the folders in my Gmail settings and now they don't appear in Thunderbird. I was thinking it was a Thunderbird issue as I also have used Evolution and it didn't exhibit this behavior, thus I was chalking it up to a client issue. Thanks for the the help.

Beans

Thanks, that was bugging me too. Allow me to give specific instructions: From Gmail, click the gear on the way top right of the screen(took me forever to find) and select "mail settings". Click the "labels" tab and on the right, uncheck "show in IMAP" for any folders you don't want to see in Thunderbird.

In our case, we unchecked the Important folder.

Beans

If you want to keep your GMail as it is, you can also configure that in TB : right click on a folder and click on "subscribe" (I'm not sure it is exactly this label cause I use TB in french)
    There you can subscribe on unsubscribe folders from your inbox.