Thread: Fedora15 removed my grub2

Beans

Red face Fedora15 removed my grub2

Hi guys, recently i've decided to try Fedora15 due to Ubuntu's interface issues. before installing i had two hard drives (master(ubuntu+storage), slave(windows+junk)).
    On master hard drive with Ubuntu i had grub2, after installing Fedora in addition to Ubuntu on master hard drive - i only get instant fedora loading. i guess it's because fedora linked master-boot record to its own grub.
    I want to restore grub2 and add a Fedora section to it - is it achievable? how?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fedora15 removed my grub2

If you aren't able to boot into an existing Ubuntu installation, boot the Ubuntu LiveCD (same version as the one you want to boot from), then mount the Ubuntu partition and reinstall Grub 2. This will point the MBR back to the Ubuntu boot files. Change X to the proper boot drive (a,b,c, etc) and Y to the correct Ubuntu partition (1,2,3, etc). Don't use the Y value in the second command.

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
    sudo umount /dev/sdXY
    After rebooting from the Grub 2 menu, run "sudo update-grub" to see if it picks up the Fedora installation.

Note: Fedora 15 and earlier use Grub Legacy but Fedora 16 finally upgraded to Grub 2.
    Last edited by drs305; November 5th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Thank you, it has worked with one correction to --boot-directory=/mnt/boot/. after that i used "grub-customizer" tool which found Fedora. Great

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deff182 View Post
    Thank you, it has worked with one correction to --boot-directory=/mnt/boot/. after that i used "grub-customizer" tool which found Fedora. Great
    I mixed the old and the new. Prior to Grub 1.99 it was "root-directory=/mnt" and Grub 1.99 is "--boot-directory=/mnt/boot", although the former works too. I usually use the former, but I'm glad you figured it out. I corrected the original should someone happen upon this thread.

If you don't have any other issues you can mark the thread "SOLVED" via the 'Thread Tools" link near the top right of the original post.

Happy Ubuntu-ing !
    GRUB2

Retired.