Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mono ditched in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mono ditched in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    The news certainly excited Roy Schestowitz.
    He's already claiming victory.
    This marks a victory of sorts to a push we’ve put a lot of effort into, along with Boycott Novell. A lot of personal compromise was involved as I was on the receiving end of persistent bullying and smears. Thanks to all those who help share information about the problems with Mono. GNU/Linux is a lot safer (and better) now.
    I'm sure the neckbeards are happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Another way to not waste a DVD would be multiCD.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    That's true. I probably have a dozen or so Ubuntu cds since I put them down somewhere and then they are not there when I need them.

*headdesk*
    I turned to the mini-isos. Faster to download, faster to burn + you install an up to date system automatically. It's a bit of a waste of a CD but at least it's not such a waste of time.

that, and a proxy to cache the stuff you need to download during the install, just to have it there in case you need to install more than once, for whatever reason (a second computer, a virtual machine, an error or a mistake during the install, ...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Mono ditched in Ubuntu 12.04

I am so happy to say that my faith in Ubuntu has been restored. First Canonical teams up with RedHat to fight M$ secure boot, then they get rid of mono. It proves to me that they're serious about competing with Microsoft and not just Apple. I am really looking forward to Ubuntu 12.04! Bravo Ubuntu. Bravo.=D>
    100% Microsoft-free since 2001
    Registered Linux User #527135

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Great decision as far as I am concerned. The first thing I would do on a fresh ubuntu install is sudo apt-get purge libmono-corlib-<tab>.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    yeay its really "hefty", its pretty much the same as python:
    Code:
    apt-get install mono-runtime
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-security4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil
      libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac
      mono-gac mono-runtime
    Need to get 3957 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 11.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    maybe 10mb for all extras you need for banshee + tomboy + gbrainy

I don't really get this descision, how has rhythmbox improved since it was removed?
    its still as unmaintained as ever to my knowledge.
    If you remove all the mono stuff from a fresh install and then install rhythmbox+gnote you'll see that they need much less things to download and take less space.

Also rhythmbox is alive and hale, it just doesn't change much on the outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I tend to use DVDs because I like testing non-Ubuntu distros. It's much easier to burn an ISO file than wait for something like UNetBootin to be updated (is it even in development anymore?).

Same here. My machines run Ubuntu Lucid or Debian Squeeze. I'm not sure if I'll end up updating them.
    unetbootin is alive and hale too.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by travissparks1307 View Post
    I am so happy to say that my faith in Ubuntu has been restored. First Canonical teams up with RedHat to fight M$ secure boot, then they get rid of mono. It proves to me that they're serious about competing with Microsoft and not just Apple. I am really looking forward to Ubuntu 12.04! Bravo Ubuntu. Bravo.=D>
    Using M$ in place of MS for Microsoft was so clever! OMG I can't believe no one else has thought of that clever label to imply that Microsoft was a corporation that inherently made money *gasp*.

Oh, and they've definitely got something up their sleeve with that Mono project. I mean the whole project is only released under GPLv2, and Microsoft explicitly placing ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise, and even going as far as contributing code to the Mono project. Oh wait...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

wow

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Oh, and they've definitely got something up their sleeve with that Mono project. I mean the whole project is only released under GPLv2, and Microsoft explicitly placing ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise, and even going as far as contributing code to the Mono project. Oh wait...
    I know right? And Microsoft would NEVER sue anyone over patents. Why that would just be so unfair!
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    I know right? And Microsoft would NEVER sue anyone over patents. Why that would just be so unfair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Open Specification Promise
    Microsoft irrevocably promises not to assert any Microsoft Necessary Claims against you for making, using, selling, offering for sale, importing or distributing any implementation to the extent it conforms to a Covered Specification (“Covered Implementation”), subject to the following. This is a personal promise directly from Microsoft to you, and you acknowledge as a condition of benefiting from it that no Microsoft rights are received from suppliers, distributors, or otherwise in connection with this promise.
    Source

The base technologies submitted to the ECMA, and therefore also the Unix/GNOME-specific parts, are not problematic due to Microsoft's explicitly placing both ECMA 334 and ECMA 335 standards under the Microsoft Community Promise. The concerns primarily relate to technologies developed by Microsoft on top of the .NET Framework, such as ASP.NET, ADO.NET and Windows Forms (see non-standardized namespaces), i.e. parts composing Mono’s Windows compatibility stack. These technologies are today not fully implemented in Mono and not required for developing Mono-applications, they are simply there for developers and users who need full compatibility with the Windows system.
    Yeah we live in a pretty black and white world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast