Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird and Lighting versions

Beans

Thunderbird and Lighting versions

I'm running ununtu 11.04 and the Thunderbird email version 3.1.15 installed by the software center. I gather that the current version of Thunderbird is 7.0.1. I just tried to install the Thunderbird addon for Lightning Calendar, however, the versions are not compatible. Is there an easy way to update ? I'm thinking there should be something in the update manager Thunderbird, but if is there, I'm missing it. I can't check again, because I seem to have hung the update manage window. and don't want to lose this post.

Ironically Thunderbird and Lightning are running just fine on my XP PC. I'll try on Windows 7 and report back.

Easiest way to upgrade Thunderbird 3.1.15 to 7.0.1 in ubuntu?

... also if I'm not on the right track, please let me know.

Thanks
    = = = ==
    Just found this thread so maybe I should get a new ubuntu disk, but still curious about the upgrade
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=lightning

Recently updated to 11.10 and one change is that thunderbird has replaced evolution (a good thing), but how do you get the same integration with gnome's calendar with thunderbird as evolution had? Where stored tasks/meetings in thunderbird's lightning extension show up in gnome's drop down calendar (upper right corner)
    Last edited by Denver Dave; November 5th, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Thunderbird and Lighting versions

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade thunderbird

Beans

wolfen69 - I'd like to thank you so much for the 3 commands.

I was really bummed out that I couldn't figure out how to upgrade Thunderbird in ubuntu and was starting to question my interest in ubuntu. I wated until this morning to install, but I went to bed with a smile instead of a frown.

Even I was able to copy 3 commands to the terminal editor, especially, now that I know how to copy and paste to the terminal (ctl+shift+p)

Ran for a fairly long time and looked like it updated quite a few things other than Thunderbird. Interesting. But maybe some of the things in the update manager may have cleared out. I was not able to run them all before using update manager, trying again ... yep, most cleared out and update managered the rest, except for new 11.10 version (which I ordered).

... So thanks and this raises the question of how to improve my understanding. It is not like I didn't look on how to update Thunderbird, with internet searches, Thunderbird site. Found several ways to update, but all seemed complicated and also out of date.

Is there an old way to update that some are listing that might be more specific and a new way that is more simple for mere mortals? Can you suggest a documentation resource to study?

Thanks again !

= = = == = =

The reason that Thunderbird is important to me, is that I'm searching for a contact management tool to replace my windows Time & Chaos application that I love and use every day - no plans for Linux version.

Strangely, Thunderbird with the syncing to google contacts, Lightning calendar to pull down and sort of sync with google calendar and ReminderFox which sort of duplicates events and tasks is starting to approach what I have with Time and Chaos under windows. The features in Thunderbird are not integrated and there doesn't seem to be note taking addon, but I'm getting close. Looking at Tomboy for notes, pretty neat, but don't like the 3rd party need to sync across computers (Like reminder fox better). Maybe Google or Yahoo will come up with a notes application that has a local client and syncs?

Thanks again !!!!

Beans

I guess things change fast.

I checked the Mozilla website and the linux versions of Thunderbird 8.0 and FireFox 8.0 are available. So would we just do the same commands for thunderbird:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
    sudo apt-get update

and I'm just making this up, but maybe do the same firefox changing the word thunderbird to firefox ?

Or does firefox work differently since it is the default browser in ubuntu?

Where can we read up on these techniques?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You already have the ppa needed, so you will just have to wait until the ppa team updates the releases.
    Code:
    is all you will need to do. Just wait until they add the latest versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have a look here. I think the advice there should work.

http://openubuntu.com/index.php/topi....html#msg67373
    Michael

Beans

s all you will need to do. Just wait until they add the latest versions.
    so other than just keep running the command
    .... ran and updated a few things - started thunderbird - still 7.0.1. But I did have thunderbird open, probably not such a bright idea. Closed and updated again says 0 to install - start thunderbird again - still 7.0.1 - will wait and keep trying.

is there a list somewhere that we can see what new versions are available? ... or maybe a notification list to sign up for. But wait, my windows thunderbird tells me there is an upgrade and unbuntu is not telling me that yet - so maybe that's my answer?

= = = = =
    wonder if the ubuntu update manager has the thunderbird and firefox upgrades? - let's check
    see 6 updates to 11.04 and also the 11.10 upgrade, but no thunderbird or firefox. Not sure if they will be in the upgrade manager anyway, I haven't seen much that I recognize there.

Also there is the notion of resource.list or something like that. Is this a way to register for updates?

Thanks - this is exciting.

Beans

Checking back to see if FF and TB updates are available for ubuntu 11.10. I think the linux versions have been available for a week. Aren't TB and FF default applications for ubuntu? How long does it usually take for them to be available for upgrade?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Firefox 8 and Thunderbird 8 have been released for all platforms, but the Ubuntu Developers have not put the new versions into the main repositories yet. There are a couple of issues that need to be resolved before they put them in there, but it should not be too long from now. Take a look at the Sticky thread Firefox 8 & Beyond Mega Thread for updates on this.

Joel
    Last edited by jaddi27; November 16th, 2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Updated details
    Ubuntu Member | Australian LoCo Team Member
    Registered Ubuntu User #18788 | Registered Linux User #440350

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Thunderbird and Lighting versions

completely uneducated comment, but ..while.. FF and TB are default apps for Ubuntu that does not mean that the developers put Ubuntu users at a their first priority. In fact, ( if they are business minded ) they will put their priorities to Windows, then Mac, then Ubuntu. Right? Were I a betting man I would say that FF/TB updates for ubuntu are ..prolly monthly? Thinking from their CFO's perspective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast