Thread: Cannot uninstall Lubuntu-Desktop/LXDE

Beans

Cannot uninstall Lubuntu-Desktop/LXDE

I installed lubuntu-desktop from the software center. I like plain lxde more so I just wan't to remove lubuntu-desktop. I discovered though, that after uninstalling lubuntu-desktop from the software center, the option are still there upon log in and I can still enter the lubuntu and lxde desktop.

Please help,
    masaharustin

Beans

Re: Cannot uninstall Lubuntu-Desktop/LXDE

So I installed gnome 3.2 from the software center and logged out to check it out. Gnome if fine but regular ubuntu (unity) is broken (no side bar, nautilus menu at top) and there is a recovery console option too now. Whats going on? Ubuntu 11.10 hasn't been very agreeable so far.

I am now reinstalling.... I'd still like to know whats going on though.

Thanks,
    masaharustin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't offer so much help at the moment but just a suggestion:
    If you are willing to Try Lubuntu, I'd recommend to go for Clean Install or at least Create a Live-USB and try it out. Or maybe install it on a Virtual Machine. I prefer to install it on 4GB USB Drive.

All that can be found on my signature - One Stop Thread.

You see installing many desktops could break your current installation. That's why I'm suggesting to do the other way around which is the default

Beans

This web site:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
    gives the exact instructions for installing and uninstalling other desktops to Ubuntu.
    I followed the instructions on 11.04 to add, then remove Xubuntu desktop. On 11.10 I followed their instructions to add Gnomes shell/fallback and the instructions are good.
    I added plain LXDE using software center, I think you can do the same in Synaptic Package Manager. Then you just log out of Unity and log in to LXDE.
    KBD47

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    This web site:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
    gives the exact instructions for installing and uninstalling other desktops to Ubuntu.
    I followed the instructions on 11.04 to add, then remove Xubuntu desktop. On 11.10 I followed their instructions to add Gnomes shell/fallback and the instructions are good.
    I added plain LXDE using software center, I think you can do the same in Synaptic Package Manager. Then you just log out of Unity and log in to LXDE.
    KBD47
    +1 for psychocats. Installing other DE is easy, however, uninstalling them can be tricky. The Cars have the proper commands.