Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

Looks like the only solution to this is to buy a cheap netword card or usb network dongle =0|

Beans

Question Re: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

I too am trying to get Huawei E586 working on Ubuntu 11.10 - but no joy.

Whether I plug it into USB port or not the E586 is detected, and listed as an available wireless network named with the correct SSID of my device "3MobileWiFi-3bc9" (both by Wicd and by the network manager tool that comes standard with Ubuntu 11.10)

When I try to connect it asks for the password (saying authentication required by wireless network, which I believe is correct) and i enter the 8 digit wifi key which came with the device and then it fails to connect and asks again for the password as it retries...

The trace from /var/log/syslog (attached - top and bottom of file most interesting, rest is just repetition upon retries to establish connection) shows:
    eth1: Lucent/Agere firmware doesn't support manual roaming
    ... and I have no clue what this is referring to or where to go from here.

Has anyone gotten the E586 working with any version of Ubuntu or other Linux?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

Hi all

have been looking further into Huawei E586 , this device may have several usb ID's
    depending on original Unswitch ID and the Switched ID

looking at the info available , drivers are binding to specific parts of the device , due to the info given by the
    modalias , Drivers for these type of devices appears to be on going , unless some one knows different

Refer to Post #60 foot of page

Feel free to post any info or links to driver patches HERE : E586 huawei (mobile wifi router )

regards
    alexfish
    Last edited by alexfish; February 3rd, 2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: link to thread
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Arrow Re: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

Hello I have been following this thread for a while and last night by accident I managed to get my E586 fully working under my ubuntu system, just like it behaves under windows.

Huawei released linux drivers for their data cards on the 19 Dec 2012 the direct link to the download page is http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...oftid=NDcwMzU=

the steps i took to make this work on my ubuntu 12.10 3.5.0-22-generic was:-

-download the drivers from the above site
    -made a new folder under my home directory 'mkdir ~/huawei'
    -unziped the driver folder to ~/huawei
    -then in a term, as superuser (sudo -i), i did 'cd /home/{USER}/huawei/driver' followed by ./install /home/{USER}/huawei

I think you need gcc and kernel header to compile properly.

I hope this helps someone out there it had me looking for a year now

Chris

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Has anyone got the Huawei E586 working on ubuntu 11.10?

followed these steps on Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit desktop and all works well even under VMWare
    Last edited by shadowslider; June 12th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123