Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Unity desktop menu bar problem in 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBoa View Post
    Thanks - I'll give this a whirl!

Beans

Same problem here. Running on AMD64 with Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS and NVidia proprietary driver version 280.13.

Linux <hostname> 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have a dual-monitor setup like some of the other posters. My global menu (I think that's the right term for it - the menu bar at the top that displays menu items specific to the app) goes away from the main (left-most display).

The thing I notice is that if I drag the app in question to the right-most display, the menu shows up there. So the menu doesn't disappear, it just ends up anchored to the right display instead of the left display, which I feel is my main display as it's larger and I'm left-to-right-centric, culturally.

I also have noticed that sometimes my initial desktop login is on the right display and sometimes on the left while the other display remains dark until login completes. This is not really a problem, though I would prefer the login to always be on the left-most display. However, I do wonder if there's a correlation between the display nominated for the login and the display on which the menu bar ends up setting up shop.

Beans

I had similar problems with dual x screen with nvidia. It will be fixed soon in unity. I built one from trunk today and all problews gone.
    It was cused by sending wrong parameters to nautilus, which could not correctly define workspace. So panel went upper than visible screen, or not drawn at all.
    In some cases the panel is there but windows open with titles under panel. It may happen randomly. All fixed in trunk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure what Trunk is, but I assume it's updates/fixes in the works. I don't know when this trunk will be out, but I only got this problem a few days ago following a kernel update (default updates from Ubuntu) which caused me to reboot.

I now have no global menu on my right hand monitor, which is my laptop. Not only that, the screen size goes about 4 mm above the edge of the monitor. So if I make an application full screen on that monitor I have to use Ctrl-F4 to close it and cannot move it or resize it.

I have installed 2 sets of updates since the problem began. One set yesterday had 93 Updates, but still no fix to this bug.

Is there any ETA on when a fix for this will be distributed?

Other than that, I vote for Unity. And I think the global menu is a good idea as it saves real estate... when it works right.

Beans

I too am using a nvidia graphics card and amd64 cpu with 11.10 and having dual monitor probs as listed by users in this thread. I do not have money but do have time so have been seeing it as a challenge to get this ironed out but my knowledge is very basic....
    The more i learn the less i understand
    This has been problematic since 11.10's release and it is good to hear a fix; for us nvidia and amd64 users, is on the way.

I now have no global menu on my right hand monitor, which is my laptop. Not only that, the screen size goes about 4 mm above the edge of the monitor. So if I make an application full screen on that monitor I have to use Ctrl-F4 to close it and cannot move it or resize it.
    Keyboard shortcuts are an important tool to have at hand.
    i.e. alt+F9 will minimize,
    Alt+TAB will switch windows/open apps,
    Alt+F5 will unmaximise
    Alt+left mouse click will allow you to move window(even to your other monitor when it worky)

I have found system restart brings back the menu bar for apps etc
    Last edited by Geezanansa; April 6th, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Painting the picture

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12