Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: how to boot ubuntu with live CD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to boot ubuntu with live CD

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    Using PATA/IDE HDDs and SATA drives on the same motherboard has proven problematic (I read it in the forums after all!).

I would re-jumper both IDE devices to be Slave, for starters.
    Another combo would be put both IDE devices on same cable, jumpered as one master, and one slave.
    unplug some drives and see what fdisk or gparted reports for drive assignments
    The OP had both drives on the same cable with a PATA-to-SATA adapter- the SATA as the master. Therefore the PATA being jumpered as slave. SATA don't have jumpers, but the adapters do. The SATA adpater was jumpered as the master...

Who ever changed over his mobo kept his adapter, thinking it wasn't needed anymore.

Yes, he should try the PATA on the PATA, with the jumper to cable select on the end (Master port) on the PATA cable. Same on his CD drive. He should post his motherboard brand and model number. It's hard to belove that he has one of those very few boards that had IDE and SATA that wouldn't allow BIOS select of which boot drive. That was the big selling point of those boards.... Adaptability.

I diagnosed this quick, but what should have worked on this was to mount the SATA (sdb, where his install is) and reinstall Grub with /dev/sdb/boot as the grub directory and /dev/sda (where his BIOS is locked into for the boot drive) to install the MBR.

Why that didn't work? Got me wondering.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 13th, 2011 at 05:04 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by teodosio View Post
    I didn't try yet because, as I have said, I decided to unconnect the 2nd hard drive from the pc and I'm just using the main hard drive (sdb1) which now, isolated, appears to be sda!
    I'm trying to win some courage to repeat every command you both sent me. Anyway I wonder to myself if the problem wouldn't come from the hardware hdd's conections. As I told before, one hdd is older that the other one - where the ubuntu is - and the conections are different. I say this because when I went to the BIOS I never saw the 2 hard disks listed and I don't know why. But these are only suppositions...
    When you look at the Motherboard, what is the name and any number on that board? I know with early motherboards that had both IDE and SATA, that the Boot Order said "Drive," and buried in another page was the setup for what order to put the drives in / defining 'Drive." I'm just wondering if your board might be one of those.

I also asked someone else to look at this. He is who I respect on Grub issues and would be a welcome new perspective. He should be back tonight.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

please post file generated by following code:

Code:
    sudo lshw > M3Ahardware
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    The OP had both drives on the same cable with a PATA-to-SATA adapter- the SATA as the master. Therefore the PATA being jumpered as slave. SATA don't have jumpers, but the adapters do. The SATA adpater was jumpered as the master...

Who ever changed over his mobo kept his adapter, thinking it wasn't needed anymore.

Yes, he should try the PATA on the PATA, with the jumper to cable select on the end (Master port) on the PATA cable. Same on his CD drive. He should post his motherboard brand and model number. It's hard to belove that he has one of those very few boards that had IDE and SATA that wouldn't allow BIOS select of which boot drive. That was the big selling point of those boards.... Adaptability.

I diagnosed this quick, but what should have worked on this was to mount the SATA (sdb, where his install is) and reinstall Grub with /dev/sdb/boot as the grub directory and /dev/sda (where his BIOS is locked into for the boot drive) to install the MBR.

Why that didn't work? Got me wondering.
    @MAF...: What I have read and sorta-more-or-less proved on my own hardware is that when using both SATA & PATA/IDE HDDs on the same machine, a good initial bet on setup, is to jumper 1st PATA/IDE device to be a Master, and second (on same cable) PATA/IDE device to be Slave. Of course Cable select might work in some iterations of BIOS/MOBO/OEM/AGE.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    @MAF...: What I have read and sorta-more-or-less proved on my own hardware is that when using both SATA & PATA/IDE HDDs on the same machine, a good initial bet on setup, is to jumper 1st PATA/IDE device to be a Master, and second (on same cable) PATA/IDE device to be Slave. Of course Cable select might work in some iterations of BIOS/MOBO/OEM/AGE.
    @Hakunka-Matata

Please check your "email"... You have mail.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234