Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to boot ubuntu with live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry how to boot ubuntu with live CD

Hi everyone!
    Today I have changed my pc motherboard for another one. Before that I had Ubuntu 10.04 installed with no problems. After setting the new motherboard the Ubuntu doesn't boot at all. I tried to run it with the live original Ubuntu 10.04 CD but I can't boot it, the CD just gives me the chance of trying it or installing it. If I install it I will loose all data I had before, I guess. Anyone can help me doing to solve this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to boot ubuntu with live CD

Quote Originally Posted by teodosio View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Today I have changed my pc motherboard for another one. Before that I had Ubuntu 10.04 installed with no problems. After setting the new motherboard the Ubuntu doesn't boot at all. I tried to run it with the live original Ubuntu 10.04 CD but I can't boot it, the CD just gives me the chance of trying it or installing it. If I install it I will loose all data I had before, I guess. Anyone can help me doing to solve this problem?
    - First, what motherboard make/model?
    - Did "you" swap the motherboard? (lets me in on your skill level)
    - Are you using the sme CPU or another CPU? Same Architecture- x86 or x86_64?
    - Does the motherboard go into BIOS Setup and after that does it POST?
    - After the post does it hit the hard disk and what... say no bootable OS installed?
    - Do you have the hard disk on IDE, SCSI, SATA 2 or SATA 3 ports?
    - Are you using the same Graphics GPU as before? What brand, model?

Last questions is on booting the LiveCD: Can you boot the LiveCD using TRY and get into the Live Image on the CD? Please try that for a test. If you can, then go to places and see if you can see hard disks and the partition where you have your install. If you can see your install from a LiveCD, then I can tell you a way to mount the sytem externally.

If you have SATA disks, make sure they'er installed as SATA2...

If you install as 10.04 alongside, it will create a new install. If you normal, it will overwrite the old install...

There is some ways around all that, but.... Fix your old or reinstall-- both still hinge on seeing your hard disks.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 4th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

... the CD just gives me the chance of trying it or installing it.
    That is HOW it works! To run Ubuntu in LiveCD mode, choose Try Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dear friend:
    thanks for your interest in helping me. I'm sorry I can't answer you the first questions as I didn't personally made those changes. I may ask the friend who did it if it is crucial for solving the troubel.
    As for your last questions, yes, with the live CD session, I can get into the computer and see the version of the Ubuntu 10.04 I had - and still have - installed before the changes and I even can get to all the files I had stored, the hard disks and the partitions.
    Could you tell me how can I confirm if the SATA disks are installed as SATA2?
    I would very much like if you could explain me how to mount the system externally as it would spare me a lot of time copying all the files I have inside the disks and installing everything again.
    So, thank you very much again for your interest and kind help.

Teodosio.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    - First, what motherboard make/model?
    - Did "you" swap the motherboard? (lets me in on your skill level)
    - Are you using the sme CPU or another CPU? Same Architecture- x86 or x86_64?
    - Does the motherboard go into BIOS Setup and after that does it POST?
    - After the post does it hit the hard disk and what... say no bootable OS installed?
    - Do you have the hard disk on IDE, SCSI, SATA 2 or SATA 3 ports?
    - Are you using the same Graphics GPU as before? What brand, model?

Last questions is on booting the LiveCD: Can you boot the LiveCD using TRY and get into the Live Image on the CD? Please try that for a test. If you can, then go to places and see if you can see hard disks and the partition where you have your install. If you can see your install from a LiveCD, then I can tell you a way to mount the sytem externally.

If you have SATA disks, make sure they'er installed as SATA2...

If you install as 10.04 alongside, it will create a new install. If you normal, it will overwrite the old install...

There is some ways around all that, but.... Fix your old or reinstall-- both still hinge on seeing your hard disks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dear friend:
    thanks for your interest in helping me. I'm sorry I can't answer you the first questions as I didn't personally made those changes. I may ask the friend who did it if it is crucial for solving the troubel.
    As for your last questions, yes, with the live CD session, I can get into the computer and see the version of the Ubuntu 10.04 I had - and still have - installed before the changes and I even can get to all the files I had stored, the hard disks and the partitions.
    Could you tell me how can I confirm if the SATA disks are installed as SATA2?
    I would very much like if you could explain me how to mount the system externally as it would spare me a lot of time copying all the files I have inside the disks and installing everything again.
    So, thank you very much again for your interest and kind help.

Teodosio.
    First 2 questions are not cruical. Seeing the install from the LiveCD tells me it is not SATA3. Linux doesn't support SATA3 yet...

Do you have 2 hard disks? If so, either switch the cables on the hard disks -or- it might have a BIOS boot drive setting where you can change the order of multiple hard disk boot-order -or- if the BIOS has a boot hotkey to change the boot drive order ...

What I'm thing there is that there should be no logical reason that is should not boot and run, except if had more than one hard disk and during the swap that order is now different. Say grub was install to sda... which in the swap is now sdb and the BIOS is still point to sda.

Try that first and get back to me. Even if your MBA was borked, since you can see everything from a LiveCD, then I'll guide you through mounting your install OS and installing grub from the LiveCD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dear MAFoElffen:

YES! I don't have my problem solved but, thanks to you, I guess it will not be far from solving it! I could'nt change the cables because the hard disk where my Ubuntu is installed has a different cable. It's red and thinner. Before last thursday changes all the 2 hard disks were connected with the same cable, that traditional large cable. Of course the hard drive were the ubuntu is was connected to the other through an adaptator as it is more recent that the other hard disk. Now, with the hardware changes the adaptator is not necessary and it was removed.
    Well, after reading you I decided first to disconect the cable from the hard disk I use just to store files. And guess what? The computer BOOTED and RUN as it allways did!
    So it is easier, I guess, to solve this! I just need you to explain me how can I have the 2 hdd's connected at the same time. I went to the Bios to change the order of booting, tryied every combination but nothing has resulted. I guess the trick is in the cables connecting, but I do I do it? I send you a picture of the situation.
    Appreciated very much if you could help me once again...
    Teodosio.

First 2 questions are not cruical. Seeing the install from the LiveCD tells me it is not SATA3. Linux doesn't support SATA3 yet...

Do you have 2 hard disks? If so, either switch the cables on the hard disks -or- it might have a BIOS boot drive setting where you can change the order of multiple hard disk boot-order -or- if the BIOS has a boot hotkey to change the boot drive order ...

What I'm thing there is that there should be no logical reason that is should not boot and run, except if had more than one hard disk and during the swap that order is now different. Say grub was install to sda... which in the swap is now sdb and the BIOS is still point to sda.

Try that first and get back to me. Even if your MBA was borked, since you can see everything from a LiveCD, then I'll guide you through mounting your install OS and installing grub from the LiveCD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dear MAFoElffen:

YES! I don't have my problem solved but, thanks to you, I guess it will not be far from solving it! I could'nt change the cables because the hard disk where my Ubuntu is installed has a different cable. It's red and thinner. Before last thursday changes all the 2 hard disks were connected with the same cable, that traditional large cable. Of course the hard drive were the ubuntu is was connected to the other through an adaptator as it is more recent that the other hard disk. Now, with the hardware changes the adaptator is not necessary and it was removed.
    Well, after reading you I decided first to disconect the cable from the hard disk I use just to store files. And guess what? The computer BOOTED and RUN as it allways did!
    So it is easier, I guess, to solve this! I just need you to explain me how can I have the 2 hdd's connected at the same time. I went to the Bios to change the order of booting, tryied every combination but nothing has resulted. I guess the trick is in the cables connecting, but I do I do it? I send you a picture of the situation.
    Appreciated very much if you could help me once again...
    Teodosio.
    Okay... Here goes. Hook your drives back up... These instructions are for booting, mounting for installed system and reinstalling Grub. Pick "sda" for the boot drive as that is the one your BIOS boots from, the first drive. It sounds as if you SATA drive now ends up as being sdb or the second drive.

1. Boot on the LiveCD. Needs to be same version and architecture of installed.)

2. Open a terminal session

3. Determine your normal system partition - (the switch is a lowercase "L")
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    If you aren't sure, run df -Th. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.

4. Mount your normal system partition:

- Substitute the correct partition: sda1, sdb5, etc.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt
    - Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

5. sdYY is the /boot partition designation
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdYY /mnt/boot
    - Example: sudo mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt/boot

6. Mount the critical virtual filesystems. Run the following as a single command:
    Code:
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
    7. Chroot into your normal system device:
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt
    8. Here is too separate options...

a. Sometimes this happens during an install where Grub is installed but the the menu was not generated. If there is no /boot/grub/grub.cfg or it's not correct, create one using
    Code:
    update-grub
    b. If Grub was not installed during the install- Reinstall GRUB 2:

9. Substitute the correct device - sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sdX
    10. Verify the install (use the correct device, for example sda. Do not specify a partition):
    Code:
    grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
    11. Exit chroot: CTRL-D on keyboard

12. Unmount virtual filesystems. Run the following as a single command:
    Code:
    for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done
    13. If you mounted a separate /boot partition:
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/boot
    14. Unmount last device:
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt
    15. Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 6th, 2011 at 06:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dear MaFO:

I'm despairing! I did everything you said, but it still doesn't boot after that! Here is the serial of procedures I did. Will I beeing dumm in any step?

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008db94

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 9328 74920960 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 9328 9730 3227649 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 9328 9730 3227648 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00072cf5

/dev/sdb1 * 1 38551 309657600 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 38551 38914 2911233 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 38551 38914 2911232 82 Linux swap / Solaris

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df -Th

Tipo de Sistema de Ficheiros Tamanho Utilizado disponível Use% Montado em
    aufs aufs 502M 19M 484M 4% /
    none devtmpfs 497M 260K 497M 1% /dev
    /dev/sr0 iso9660 700M 700M 0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0
    squashfs 672M 672M 0 100% /rofs
    none tmpfs 502M 228K 501M 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs tmpfs 502M 12K 502M 1% /tmp
    none tmpfs 502M 92K 502M 1% /var/run
    none tmpfs 502M 0 502M 0% /var/lock
    none tmpfs 502M 0 502M 0% /lib/init/rw

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /mnt

root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    done

root@ubuntu:/# grub-install /dev/sdb
    Installation finished. No error reported.

root@ubuntu:/# grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb

root@ubuntu:/# exit

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /mnt/boot

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /mnt

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

sudo reboot

Okay... Here goes. Hook your drives back up... These instructions are for booting, mounting for installed system and reinstalling Grub. Pick "sda" for the boot drive as that is the one your BIOS boots from, the first drive. It sounds as if you SATA drive now ends up as being sdb or the second drive.

1. Boot on the LiveCD. Needs to be same version and architecture of installed.)

2. Open a terminal session

3. Determine your normal system partition - (the switch is a lowercase "L")
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    If you aren't sure, run df -Th. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.

4. Mount your normal system partition:

- Substitute the correct partition: sda1, sdb5, etc.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt
    - Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

5. sdYY is the /boot partition designation
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdYY /mnt/boot
    - Example: sudo mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt/boot

6. Mount the critical virtual filesystems. Run the following as a single command:
    Code:
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
    7. Chroot into your normal system device:
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt
    8. If there is no /boot/grub/grub.cfg or it's not correct, create one using
    Code:

Code:
    update-grub
    Reinstall GRUB 2:

9. Substitute the correct device - sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sdX
    10. Verify the install (use the correct device, for example sda. Do not specify a partition):
    Code:
    grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
    11. Exit chroot: CTRL-D on keyboard

12. Unmount virtual filesystems. Run the following as a single command:
    Code:
    for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done
    13. If you mounted a separate /boot partition:
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/boot
    14. Unmount last device:
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt
    15. Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dear MaFO:

I'm despairing! I did everything you said, but it still doesn't boot after that! Here is the serial of procedures I did. Will I beeing dumm in any step?

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x0008db94

/dev/sda1 * 1 9328 74920960 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 9328 9730 3227649 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 9328 9730 3227648 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00072cf5

/dev/sdb1 * 1 38551 309657600 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 38551 38914 2911233 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 38551 38914 2911232 82 Linux swap / Solaris

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df -Th

Tipo de Sistema de Ficheiros Tamanho Utilizado disponível Use% Montado em
    aufs aufs 502M 19M 484M 4% /
    none devtmpfs 497M 260K 497M 1% /dev
    /dev/sr0 iso9660 700M 700M 0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0
    squashfs 672M 672M 0 100% /rofs
    none tmpfs 502M 228K 501M 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs tmpfs 502M 12K 502M 1% /tmp
    none tmpfs 502M 92K 502M 1% /var/run
    none tmpfs 502M 0 502M 0% /var/lock
    none tmpfs 502M 0 502M 0% /lib/init/rw

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /mnt

root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    done

root@ubuntu:/# grub-install /dev/sdb

root@ubuntu:/# grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /mnt/boot

sudo reboot
    LOL- You mounted your system, but you installed the Grub MBR to your second disk instead of the first. The first is where your BIOS is looking to for a disk to boot. The current second disk is where it was installed to and where the BIOS can't find it... Remember? What we need to do is mount the system on the second disk and install the MBR (boot sector) to the first disk... Doing that, Bios will find it and That Grub MBR will point to the installed partition on the second disk...

Now that I know your installed layout, here is "your" instructions, tailored to you and yours. Mount your installed system and install grub:

1. Boot a Live-CD. Use the :Try" menu item. Open a terminal session.
    2. Your "Installed" partition is. /dev/sdb1 (where you've installed the OS ... the "/" partition)
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    3. Mount the installed system
    Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
    4. "changeroot" to /mnt
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    5. Now you're "on" your installed system... Install grub to your first disk, where on your PC, your BIOS looks:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    6. Now we need to get out of the chroot with the keyboard hot-key: <cntrl><d>

7. Now we unmount our mount.
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt
    8. Now we reboot. From the LiveCD you can choose to reboot- it will shutdown and ask you to remove the LiveCD...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 7th, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi MAFoElffen!
    Waters are not very clear around here and gods aren't definitively on my side. I got this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt
    mount: /dev/sdb already mounted or /mnt busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /mnt
    mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /mnt busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /mnt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    root@ubuntu:/# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu
    umount: /mnt: device is busy.
    (In some cases useful info about processes that use
    the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

I don't know what to tell you more and how to thank you for all this... but I really can't make it work right!

LOL- You mounted your system, but you installed the Grub MBR to your second disk instead of the first. The first is where your BIOS is looking to for a disk to boot. The current second disk is where it was installed to and where the BIOS can't find it... Remember? What we need to do is mount the system on the second disk and install the MBR (boot sector) to the first disk... Doing that, Bios will find it and That Grub MBR will point to the installed partition on the second disk...

Now that I know your installed layout, here is "your" instructions, tailored to you and yours. Mount your installed system and install grub:

1. Boot a Live-CD. Use the :Try" menu item. Open a terminal session.
    2. Your "Installed" partition is. /dev/sdb1 (where you've installed the OS ... the "/" partition)
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt
    3. Mount the installed system
    Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
    4. "changeroot" to /mnt
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    5. Now you're "on" your installed system... Install grub to your first disk, where on your PC, your BIOS looks:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    6. Now we need to get out of the chroot with the keyboard hot-key: <cntrl><d>

7. Now we unmount our mount.
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt
    8. Now we reboot. From the LiveCD you can choose to reboot- it will shutdown and ask you to remove the LiveCD...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast