Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are all solutions on command line? Give your opinion.

Beans

Re: why all solutions are on commandline?? give ur opinion

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I simply give instructions the way that I would do it myself, nothing more or less sinister that that. Since I am not an Ubuntu or Unity user, I am not qualified to give GUI instructions.

My personal feeling is that words and symbols have been used to communicate for thousands of years, whereas the GUI "desktop" metaphor (mouse, icons, file folders, menus, etc.) has only been around since the 1970s and favors "visual thinkers" over users with different cognitive types. Therefore I don't think any Forum poster should every have to apologize for accurate and direct advice like "use 'mount' to mount a partition" or "use 'modprobe' to load a module." These commands are universal and unambiguous.
    These are my feelings precisely. I've been using Linux for 8 years; I learned the command line back in the day. I use KDE, awesome wm, sometimes LXDE or XFCE but almost never Unity or Gnome, so when I see someone asking for help I give them the help I know how to use.

That said, I try to make sure to give CLI solutions that won't mess up the GUI they're using, and offer the caveat that there's probably a GUI way of doing it that I'm not aware of. And if someone has already offered a GUI-oriented solution, I generally leave it at that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Because it makes it us look like hardcore code ninja...

..and it's simpler.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you had an app to do/fix everything via GUI, your .iso would be around 5GB or so.

Also, the programs would be insane-the apt-manager and the tee GUI.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Why are all solutions on command line? Give your opinion.

There are numerous Windows fixes that can only be performed in a terminal (command prompt) ... linux hardly has a monopoly...

but yeah... it mostly cos we wanna look like ubergeekcodeninja...
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    It's easier to give instructions for a terminal since you don't know what DE or Window Manager someone is using and there are a ton of them out there.
    This is probably the biggest reason I have for giving command line solutions. I try to also give a solution for my DE (GNOME 2).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why are all solutions on command line? Give your opinion.

In addition to the many good reasons mentioned,
    when you run a program from the command line you can see the error messages it generates.
    They are often useful in solving the problem.

I am biased, I used computers with command lines for ten years before ever having a GUI.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with the point that instructions on the command line are more consistent and less dependent on what a particular user is running, but the idea that there are times when the terminal is the only option gets to be less and less applicable with every release of Ubuntu.

While there are other things that can still only be done through the command line, I think the only thing I've actually run into any time lately was using dpkg -i --force-architecture to install 32bit packages. (why this is still necessary I'll never know) There are MANY other things that I have done with the terminal, but not because I had to. Just because my first computer ran DOS, and I've always been more comfortable with command lines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

overall result:
    1.terminal is simple because it doesn't mind what enviroment you running on....
    2.its easier to solve such things with terminal as output tells us whats the problem..
    3.some people feels comfortable about this ...
    4.some people feel diffrent when they use this ..

well I really agree all above things but speaking about ubuntu I still think terminal is hard to understand i was having(still I has a little) habbit of working on GUI..(thats because of my OS I was using)
    1.sometimes we don't even khnow what specific command does for example in the initial days of my linux journey i didn't know how to install packages from source codes... i found this answer from books
    tar xvzf source code name
    cd source code name(except tar.bz)
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    well this was the solution I tried it.. bt I got lots of problems on first insturction later i knew that that was only for extraction...

so this is the thing that happens to most of the newusers ....
    this also makes them feel that linux is hard to use...some people think that linux is only for developers and students of engineering .... not for home use....

WINDOWS HAS MADE PEOPLE LAZY ..THEY FEEL THAT REMEMBERING THE COMMNDS IS LIKE WORK AND HAD THING TO DO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12