Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music player with parametric equalizer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Music player with parametric equalizer

I'm looking for a music player for Linux that has the following features (in this order of importance, and does not require WINE):
    1. Parametric equalizer
    2. Savable equalizer profiles
    3. Cross-feed
    4. Music library management
    5. Dithering

If you're familiar with Rockbox, I'm looking for something similar to that. I don't care if it supports these features natively or through plugins, or if I have to download and compile it from Source Forge, etc. Please let me know if any player exists that has these features. Thanks!
    Last edited by Lysander10; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Additional request
    "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid, and blind in the eyes."

Beans

Re: Music player with parametric equalizer

I do not know what is RockBox, but... try VLC...

Beans
    Distro

Rockbox is a replacement, open source PMP firmware that has the features I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be run (easily) under Linux.

VLC does have an equalizer, but it doesn't look like it's parametric. It also doesn't support music library management.

Beans
    Distro

Update: It looks like Aqualung supports parametric equalization through the LADSPA framework. However, it does not include a library manager. Is there a music player with a library manager that uses LADSPA?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Audacious can use LADSPA plugins, but I don't think it has an parametric equalizer, unless there is another plugin that I don't have. Its own equalizer is reasonable, but I can't compare it with others, as I have seldom used the equalizer in it.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you! I have spent all day looking for a music player that has a parametric equalizer. There is indeed a LADSPA plugin for this; it's called "Triple band parametric with shelves". It comes included in the standard Ubuntu package (at least it does in 10.10).

Beans
    Distro

It appears that I was mistaken: there is a LADSPA parametric equalizer plugin, but you have to install the "fil-plugins" package to use it.

Beans

Ok, I installed fil-plugins, but how do you make it show up in Audacious and use it? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, it's hidden pretty well, isn't it? Open Audacious, go to File >> Preferences, and select "Plugins" from the menu on the left. Then select the "Effects" tab, find "LADSPA host" from the menu, select it, make sure it's checked, and click on "Preferences". Search through the menu that pops up for "Triple band parametric with shelves", select it, and click "Add". You can then configure the parametric equalizer from this menu.

Beans
    Distro

I'd also like to say that I was wrong about Aqualung - it does have a music library manager; the interface is just unintuitive. But it has a lot of great features for audiophiles, and I've come to prefer it to Audacity. Here is how to use the parametric equalizer from fil-plugins in Aqualung:

Select FX (the LADSPA patch builder) from the main menu. In the menu that pops up, scroll down to "Triple band parametric with shelves", and add it to the list of running plugins. You can then select it from the running plugins list and click "Configure" to adjust the parametric equalizer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast