Thread: During startup my computer crashes and the power goes off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

During startup my computer crashes and the power goes off.

I can run it with the live Ubuntu disk, so it does not appear to be a mother board problem. I'm, in my ignorance, assuming that this means that it is either a hard disk problem or the OS itself has been corrupted somehow.

Through the live disk, I have tried to access the content to back it up to an external drive, but it tells me that I do not have permission to read the files. Is there some way of getting around this?

Also, how do I force a check of the hard disk?

Alternately, if this is the problem, is there some way to repair the OS from the live disk?

Of feel free to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and suggest some other action.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: During startup my computer crashes and the power goes off.

I'd say give parted magic a go - checks for hdd errors, can clone partitions or disks, even has photo rec for recovery of lost data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: During startup my computer crashes and the power goes off.

I took a look and that is way out of my range of knowledge. Even if it does what I need to do, I would have no idea how to use it.

Are you saying that with Parted Magic, I will be able to tell whether my problem is on my disk or in the software of the OS? Or is this just something that I can use to backup?

By showing me Parted Magic, are you telling me that the disk cannot be checked without it by simply using the command line from a liveCD, and that the OS cannot be restored from a liveCD?