Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Canonical Store related question

A few questions:

Anyone own one of these?

http://shop.canonical.com/product_in...roducts_id=767

If so how thick is it?
    I like to be snugly warm, the thicker the better. I really don't wear winter coats as I drive a lot for work, and coats restrict my movement wearing a seat belt and it is just more comfortable to wear a hoodie. My current hoodie is pretty worn out, and I figured I would sport an Ubuntu one

I am around 5'10" or 178cm tall and I have a 38"~42" or 97cm~107cm waste depending on how often I work (Yeah I know I am a fatty lol blame driving thousands of miles a month and fast food is convenient) the sizes they say I could fit into a small being 44". I know from experience (here in the US at least), that I should get large or X-Large. Do they shrink after washing them? Will a large be too big? 48" seems like it would be a tent lol. I may be a larger fellow but I like my clothes to fit but not reveal any skin. The site isn't very technical on the exact length of the arms, and how long the body of the thing is.

Are the developers getting any profit out of my purchase?
    If so I will be buying one within a couple days regardless how thick it is because that would make me pretty happy. I mean I donate to Kubuntu and Ubuntu regularly, but knowing that my money is going to a good cause would make me pretty happy.
    Last edited by christopher.wortman; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Canonical Store related question

I recently bought the Regatta fleece which looks pretty similar to the hoodie in the pics. I'm very happy with it, the quality is excellent. I would describe the thickness as medium, I'll be wearing mine in the winter. I haven't washed it yet but I don't think it will shrink. The sleeves are exactly the right length for me and it hangs at sort of crotch length. I'm the same size as you, I went for the XL and it's just right, I could have probably fitted a L but nothing smaller, you should definitely not go for S.

I think the profits do support the developers etc.

Note: those are chest measurements, not waist!
    Last edited by jim_deadlock; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    I recently bought the Regatta fleece which looks pretty similar to the hoodie in the pics. I'm very happy with it, the quality is excellent. I would describe the thickness as medium, I'll be wearing mine in the winter. I haven't washed it yet but I don't think it will shrink. The sleeves are exactly the right length for me and it hangs at sort of crotch length. I'm the same size as you, I went for the XL and it's just right, I could have probably fitted a L but nothing smaller, you should definitely not go for S.

I think the profits do support the developers etc.
    Hey thanks for the quick reply... wow the shipping is outlandish holy crow, 25 USD for basic shipping, they aren't shipping glass here... It is clothing, you can put clothing in media air mail for like 10 bucks I know I ship over seas all the time for ebay... That is pretty outlandish... Even UPS clothing is $15USD max
    Last edited by christopher.wortman; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I have to say, even the shipping to my UK address was an eyebrow-raiser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Moved to Community Cafe.
    Thank you kind sir.

I have to say, even the shipping to my UK address was an eyebrow-raiser.
    How much did it cost?

I wonder if the extra shipping money goes toward helping the community, then I might consider it. Even shipping a small 5CD package of (K)ubuntu CDs is like $10USD. Do they ship the stuff in plastic totes lined with baby alpaca wool? It would be a nifty idea, but something isn't adding up here. I know when I ship CDs it is slightly over the price of an envelope like maybe 3~5 USD depending between the UK and Australia.

If the extra money does go to the community, I think there should be a lick of honesty; e.g. The Sweater is $30USD, and $12 goes to the community, and due to shipping, $15 of it goes into the community.

Because then I would feel a whole lot better about spending the extra money. Instead I feel like someone made the prices and is pocketing some of it. I would much rather put $75 into a donation amount. This way I can say without a doubt I know where it is headed.

Beans
    Hidden!

When I finally pulled the trigger and got me some stuff from the Canonical store I basically closed my eyes and pretended there wasn't any shipping costs as it does seem to be steep. I can however comment the package was delivered double quick and well packaged (for what its worth).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.wortman View Post
    Do they ship the stuff in plastic totes lined with baby alpaca wool?
    I'll let you know when I get home, I ordered a hat and a lanyard which arrived today!
    Last edited by trivialpackets; November 2nd, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

How much did it cost?
    It was £9.67 (~$15) for registered mail which was the cheapest option (and means there is tracking), there were 7 items all together in a cardboard box. I suppose they want to make sure nothing gets lost in the mail so they don't offer any cheaper shipping options that would incorporate that risk. The money will go straight to the shipping company, there's definitely no scam involved.

One thing I will say is that the shipping costs did encourage me to order more items, and having received them I'm very happy, it's all top quality stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thank you kind sir.
    You're welcome ma'am.