• 5 more years

10 25.64%
  • What's 10.04?

10 25.64%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Extend Support for 10.04LTS

Beans

Re: POLL: Extend Support for 10.04LTS

I myself would like to extend the 10.04 support maybe one more year. I have three machines that have been moved from 10.04 to 12.04 and then back to 10.04. Two of the machines had the random logoff issue in 12.04 with Nvidia graphics cards. The other is a netbook that was much slower (for OS actions and starting programs) and had issues with file system (crashes during file copies/moves) such that 12.04 had to be forcibly restarted. None of these issues occur in 10.04. Yes I like new things and I like the unity interface (I also use a Mac which is similar) but the stability is not there yet. Maybe in another year.

Beans

I really don't get why so many people are so ticked off. I'm using Linux Mint 13 with MATE, and it is GNOME 2. I currently have it looking almost exactly like Ubuntu 10.04, and the only way to tell the difference is the little Mint Update icon. It's super-fast, and it does everything Gnome 2 did. (Far as I can tell. I'd be curious to know what it's lacking)

I like Gnome Shell, and I like Unity. Problem is, I have an old NVIDIA card, and Gnome 3 desktops don't play well with the proprietary driver. Seriously, there are a ton of desktop options. Including one that is almost exactly the same thing as Gnome 2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chrnoble View Post
    I really don't get why so many people are so ticked off. I'm using Linux Mint 13 with MATE, and it is GNOME 2. I currently have it looking almost exactly like Ubuntu 10.04, and the only way to tell the difference is the little Mint Update icon. It's super-fast, and it does everything Gnome 2 did. (Far as I can tell. I'd be curious to know what it's lacking)

I like Gnome Shell, and I like Unity. Problem is, I have an old NVIDIA card, and Gnome 3 desktops don't play well with the proprietary driver. Seriously, there are a ton of desktop options. Including one that is almost exactly the same thing as Gnome 2.
    If you look at the start date of this thread, it was shortly after 11.10 was released. We are testing a third version since it was started, and both Unity and Gnome-shell have improved greatly since then.

Beans

I don't understand why the which version is better argument tends towards which DE they use?

If you still think your stuck with the DE that is given with the OS your in the wrong place.

Edit: just read the post above did NOT look at start date
    Last edited by mJayk; January 25th, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: face palm

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chrnoble View Post
    It's super-fast, and it does everything Gnome 2 did.
    But jDownloader is buggy.

Beans

5 years

Beans

Please continue support for 10.04 LTS. I have used 12.04 with Gnome 3 on my work laptop for almost a Year and still get more work done at home on my 10.04 machine with Compiz. Unity was a big change to Ubuntu. If 12.04 was clearly better in every way then there would be no problem, for those of us that just want to get the work done but happy to give 20% of our time for the next version. Can we make sure the new boat is pumped up enough to carry all the passengers before sinking the old one ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Support for lucid on the desktop is now dead.
    That ship has sailed.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leongoogs View Post
    Please continue support for 10.04 LTS. I have used 12.04 with Gnome 3 on my work laptop for almost a Year and still get more work done at home on my 10.04 machine with Compiz. Unity was a big change to Ubuntu. If 12.04 was clearly better in every way then there would be no problem, for those of us that just want to get the work done but happy to give 20% of our time for the next version. Can we make sure the new boat is pumped up enough to carry all the passengers before sinking the old one ?
    No problem, I'll get right on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    No problem, I'll get right on that.
    No hurry.
    Take all the time you need.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast