10 25.64%
  • What's 10.04?

10 25.64%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Extend Support for 10.04LTS

Beans

Re: POLL: Extend Support for 10.04LTS

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Debian Stable is only going to be supported for a few months longer than 10.04, and a lot less than 12.04.
    That depends how optimistic you are about wheezy's release date

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    That depends how optimistic you are about wheezy's release date
    I've been using wheezy for a couple of months already, so sometimes I forget it's not stable release yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Debian Stable is only going to be supported for a few months longer than 10.04, and a lot less than 12.04.
    then move on too the next release. i understand that you don't like unity. but there are a million other options one click away. or you could use another distro. if you don't like change then debian is the way to go. they will test everything to death before they deem it stable.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

People who are using 10.04 are using Debian Stable, in a sense, aren't they? The LTS releases are built from Debian Testing, and Debian Squeeze was Testing at that time - so now, in a sense, 10.04 users are using Debian Stable, right?

12.04 was built from Debian Testing (Wheezy at the time), and when Wheezy is released as Debian Stable, 12.04 users will be - in a sense - "using Debian Stable." Isn't that right or have I totally misunderstood how it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I would have voted no, if there were such an option. Thanks for closing the poll, a poll without a chance to say no is worthless.

I don't see why there should be more than one lts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    then move on too the next release. i understand that you don't like unity. but there are a million other options one click away. or you could use another distro. if you don't like change then debian is the way to go. they will test everything to death before they deem it stable.
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I love Unity, I like change, and I use whichever distro is best for the job. You have completely misunderstood my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    People who are using 10.04 are using Debian Stable, in a sense, aren't they? The LTS releases are built from Debian Testing, and Debian Squeeze was Testing at that time - so now, in a sense, 10.04 users are using Debian Stable, right?

12.04 was built from Debian Testing (Wheezy at the time), and when Wheezy is released as Debian Stable, 12.04 users will be - in a sense - "using Debian Stable." Isn't that right or have I totally misunderstood how it works?
    That's not even close to accurate. 10.04 was released April 2010 and Debian Squeeze was released Feb. 2011, so Squeeze had 10 months more testing than Ubuntu 10.04. Likewise if Wheezy is released in Feb. 2013 (just a guess) it will have had 10 months additional testing compared with Ubuntu 12.04. 10 months of testing makes a big difference! (Ubuntu makes a release and two-thirds in that amount of time )
    Last edited by snowpine; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vagrale13 View Post
    It' s not the same. Is similar, but not the same.
    If someone want the same with gnome-classic, the only way is to install and use Mate.
    Unity and Gnome3 is the reason where many old users go away from Ubuntu.
    It is better left to a longer time support on Lucid, for the above reason.
    It's also a reason people flock to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The part that is missing is that Canonical doesn't have any interest in maintaining and updating Gnome 2, and the Gnome team doesn't either.

So unless someone else picks up that flag, go get Mate or something else that is similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine;12367703
    That's not even close to accurate. 10.04 was released April 2010 and Debian Squeeze was released Feb. 2011, so Squeeze had [B
    10 months more testing[/B] than Ubuntu 10.04. Likewise if Wheezy is released in Feb. 2013 (just a guess) it will have had 10 months additional testing compared with Ubuntu 12.04. 10 months of testing makes a big difference! (Ubuntu makes a release and two-thirds in that amount of time )
    Okay, I need to pay better attention to what I read. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Beans

It would be nice to see this version extended.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast