Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Classic Megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gnome Classic Megathread

I have 2 problems since upgrading. The laptop's screen size is being misunderstood by gnome. Gnome seems to think the screen is twice as big as it really is, forcing me to scroll back and forth to see the left and right edges of the screen. In Unity there is no problem.

For some strange reason choosing Gnome Classic takes me to a Unity session.

I have no problem with Gnome (No effects). It takes me to a Gnome classic session.

The other problem is not specific the Gnome. I simply cannot figure out where to turn off the log-in drumbeat sound.

Suggestions are welcomed!
    Last edited by ProntoAnthony; April 7th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ProntoAnthony View Post

The other problem is not specific the Gnome. I simply cannot figure out where to turn off the log-in drumbeat sound.

Suggestions are welcomed!
    one way is to remove it
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg
    but there might be a better way, that's how i did it since i don't like it anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

System settings-sound-sound effects-slide to 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the suggestions for the sound issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another suggestion to turn off the system start and shutdown sound is System Setting->Startup Applications, and uncheck GNOME Login Sound. There is always more than one way to do something in a Linux distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ON my classic 11.10 startup applications is under Applications-other

Beans

I have two little problem :
    * With metacity, when I open programs (synaptic, terminal, ...), the focus doesn't change. So, I have to swith to the correct window. A few programs work well but not all. Any idea ?

* With compiz, the decoration isn't very good. In fact, the desktop icon and the windows selector in the bottom panel aren't look well. And, in the top panel, the text color menu (applications, shortcuts) isn't visible. I don't have this problem with metacity. (See the screenshots)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

In order to change the default sound and brightness notification (they don't look good by default), I have change the default icons. See the captures. Just use this commands and logout/login session :
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/status/24
    sudo cp audio-volume-low-panel.svg audio-volume-low.svg
    sudo cp audio-volume-medium-panel.svg audio-volume-medium.svg
    sudo cp audio-volume-high-panel.svg audio-volume-high.svg
    sudo cp audio-volume-muted-panel.svg audio-volume-muted.svg 
    sudo cp /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/status/display-brightness-symbolic.svg /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/status/
    Edit : use "cp" command or "ln -s".

Beans

This is quite a preliminary look at classic (no effects) in Precise, you should expect changes almost daily in the first few weeks after the official release of Precise Pangolin, I will continue to add more info as it becomes available!

I also plan on adding some helpful hints, such as how to restore all defaults, how to speed up the process for repetitive conversions, etc. Just be a bit patient.

Important note: This guide is almost totally reliant on copy-n-pasting commands into gnome-terminal. Why? Quite simply not ALL of this can be completed using GUI tools like Ubuntu Tweak or 'gnome-tweak-tool', and installing 'gnome-tweak-tool' results in installing a great deal of unneeded packages including 'gnome-shell', and my only concern is getting a "classic w/o effects" DE running efficiently. Should someone care to use either Ubuntu Tweak or 'gnome-tweak-tool' I have no problem with that, I just prefer the CLI.

But copying and pasting commands that are "wrapped" in code tags couldn't be simpler as I explained here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=160

Also, if I didn't include "sudo" in the command then it's not needed, and in rare instances may result in changed permissions, so please just copy-n-paste! If something appears to fail please copy the full output from the terminal and paste it into a reply here along with an explanation and I'll try my best to help you.

For those who find it just too difficult to use the Unity desktop it's actually quite simple to get a classic look and feel in Ubuntu Precise. My focus has been on Classic (No effects) only, which uses Metacity, because I've never really cared for compiz anyway and from what I've seen it seems to be difficult to get it to run well in a classic DE. So, if you want compiz this particular post is NOT for you, sorry.

Here's a screenshot of my Precise classic DE:

Precise_classic.jpg

You'll notice that I prefer only one panel at the bottom. I realize some may want two panels, or one at the top only, it's purely a matter of preference. Be patient and I'll do my best to explain things. Just FYI my panel layout (beginning from the left) consists of:

Hide button/Main Menu/Terminal/Workspace Switcher/Screenshot/Firefox/Window List/________/Indicator Applet/Clock/Trash/Hide button

And the Indicator Applet displays: /Update notifier/Caffeine/Network widget/Mail widget/Volume widget

And this is as good a time as any to pause and discuss changes to the menu(s) and panel(s). You'll notice that the menu(s) have changed, but I think you'll likely find what you want if you just spend a couple of minutes familiarizing yourself with the new menu layout, be sure to check the System Tools > Administration, Prefernces, and System Settings categories.

You also need to know that you must now hold down either Alt key while right-clicking on a panel or applet to be able to edit panel preferences or to add/edit/move/remove more applets. That was an intentional move by the Gnome devs to prevent people from unintentionally breaking things. And you also can't just add application applets by right-clicking them and selecting "add to panel" anymore. You must now open the "add-to-panel" window and select Application Launcher > Forward, then the window changes and you can click on the "bullet" to the left of each category to display and add any app in the menu to the panel:

add_to_panel.jpg

But lets also look at my Panel Properties settings:

panel_properties.png

To be perfectly honest I now almost forget I'm even using Gnome 3 while running a classic (no effects) DE most of the time, but now it's time to move on to how I got there, one step at a time.

Step #1:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    Note: This does exactly the same as installing 'gnome-session-fallback' but why not keep it simple.

Step #2:

I highly recommend installing these so they'll be available for placement in the panel (only 'indicator-applet-complete' is available by default):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-applet indicator-applet-session
    When that is complete it's time to take your first look at the new "classic" DE by simply logging out, then clicking on the Ubuntu emblem to the right of your user name on the login screen, selecting Classic (No effects), entering your password, and logging back in.

Now, before continuing, please understand that all of these additional steps are optional. No two people want the exact same look, feel, or function out of a DE! This is just what I wanted. Pick and choose to suit your own desires.

Note: If you find the default terminal theme (white text on a purple background) as atrocious as I do just open the Terminal, click on Edit > Profile Preferences. Then click on the Colors tab and uncheck "Use colors from system theme", then select "Black on white" from the Built-in schemes.

Step #3:

I wanted to get the "Run Command Prompt" back by pressing Alt+F2 just as it was in Gnome 2. This can be quite useful if you should ever do something silly like remove both panels and need to launch the terminal or another application without being able to access the menu(s).

It really couldn't be much simpler, just go to System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > System and highlight the line that says "Show the run command prompt". Then just follow the instructions at the bottom of that window.

Step #4:

I found the screen lock thing very annoying, I live alone and don't like having to enter my password everytime the screen-"blanker" acivates. So you can just go to System Tools > System Settings > Brightness & Lock and select Lock = Off. (I call it a screen-"blanker" mostly as a joke because it hardly resembles a screensaver anymore).

Step #5:

In Unity the update-notifications now show up in the Launcher but without the Launcher we now get no persistent update notifications. Still no worries, I got it to show up in either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete' in gnome-panel by running the command:

Code:
    gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false
    You can revert that by running:

Code:
    gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch true
    Step #6:

At this point I decided the window-management buttons really needed to be back on the right so I ran:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"
    Note: to restore the defaults run:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string "close,minimize,maximize:"
    Step #7:

Even after moving the window-management buttons back to the right I wanted to improve the button appearance so I did the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install shiki-colors-metacity-theme
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    To restore the default theme just run:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Ambiance
    Step #8:

I found the overlay-scrollbars to be inconsistent and annoying in the classic DE so I removed them, but that was totally a matter of preference, and this is one of those steps that really seems to somewhat break Unity! Should you want to remove them run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0 liboverlay-scrollbar3-0.2-0 overlay-scrollbar
    Note: You'll likely have to reboot for that change to fully take effect.

Step #9:

I also dislike the missing menu and button icons so I run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true
    Step #10:

This one is the hardest for me to explain. By default the Precise desktop is set to NOT display any icons, but it's possible for the desktop to display any combination of these icons/"actors":

Code:
    Computer...........(computer-icon-visible)
    Home...............(home-icon-visible)
    Network............(network-icon-visible)
    Trash..............(trash-icon-visible)
    Mounted volumes....(volumes-visible)
    But to do so you must first set the "stage" by running:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
    But that only sets the stage for the actors, now you must decide which actors you want on the stage. You're now the director.

After running that command either reboot or log out and log back in. When you get back to a blank DE background decide what you want displayed. (Hint, the "true" or "false" at the end of these commands is the key):

To show the Computer icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible true
    To hide the Computer icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible false
    To show the Home icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible true
    To hide the Home icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible false
    To show the Network icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop network-icon-visible true
    To hide the Network icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop network-icon-visible false
    To show the Trash icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible true
    To hide the Trash icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible false
    To show Mounted Volumes run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true
    To hide Mounted Volumes run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible false
    Step #11:

You may or may not find that you need to disable the Firefox and/or Thunderbird global menu add-ons. To do so in Firefox just go to Tools > Add-ons > Global Menu Bar integration and select Disable. You'll then be prompted to restart Firefox. I don't use Thunderbird so I can't be sure of the specific procedure with it, but I'd think it's similar.

Note: The remainder of these steps require the installation of packages from PPA's!

Step #12:

Even having set Lock to Off I found it annoying to have the screen-"blanker" activate while trying to watch videos or such. In Gnome 2 I used to be able to use 'gnome-inhibit-applet' but it's not available in Gnome 3. No worries, I found a very good replacement, Caffeine:

https://launchpad.net/~caffeine-developers/+archive/ppa

In my original screenshot the caffeine applet shows up in the indicator-applet. I find it to be a sweet replacement for the old 'gnome-inhibit-applet'. Once installed and set up it allows you to "inhibit" the screen-"blanking". I think a picture is worth a thousand words so here:

caffeine_comp.jpg

Should you choose to install it you can setup Caffeine by going to System Tools > Preferences > Caffeine preferences. Installation is easy:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install caffeine

I decided not to provide any info about Hardware Sensors Indicator or System Monitor Indicator ATM because they involve using Oneiric packages, just be patient. I'll keep checking and I'll update things when possible.

I need to add a bit this time about expediting the conversion process for those who need to convert numerous computers, and maybe a bit about restoring all defaults.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; April 27th, 2012 at 06:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Re: Gnome Classic Megathread

Greetings,

Are there any tips to install a external ip connection widget
    in the genome-system-panel

I want to detect all my external ip connections by checking the genome panel.

Hopefully, I won't have to create my own script, to do this.

I should look similar to the following screenshot...
    Last edited by Jordy_224; April 11th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast