Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome Classic Megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gnome Classic Megathread

Please post all your gnome classic (gnome-session-fallback) hints tips and workarounds in this thread. It is my hope that we can create a digest/wiki page near the end of the development cycle so that all the cool stuff can be put in one place.

Beans

Re: Gnome Classic Megathread

At the moment no real tips but I can report my experience with gnome-panel gtk3.
    I've tried it numerous times from its first release (included in gnome 3.0) to latest git version (3.3.2) that is not released yet.

Gnome panel is developed by Vincent Untz, this was the announce of the gtk3 porting:
    http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/20...ve-gnome-panel!

Issues still present in 3.3.2:
    - css gradient background is not applied to the whole panel, some pieces are not skinned. this depends on the panel code and not to the theme.
    - tray icons are usually misaligned, wrong padding and margin between borders and other icons.. a real mess!
    - lack of app-indicators (this is probably more a canonical issue than a upstream one because are not adopted by gnome itself)
    - taskbar buttons make a lot a artifacts and glitches, usually application icons on are not displayed until you over with the mouse.
    - clock usually cut a part of it until you over it
    - some applications like nautilus open two buttons on the taskbar when opening then one disappears.

these are the more evident and still not solved.. there are others but not so problematic..
    Sincerly until gnome-panel matures enough I'll follow slickpanel development (taskbar+indicators in gtk3) and I'll use the great xfce4-panel.
    Last edited by lucazade; December 4th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Beans

Just a note... there are also other alternatives panels like xtint2, lxpanel..
    both with pros and cons

Beans
    Distro

Just the basics...
    alt+right-click to on a panel to get the options menu.

For launchers in panels... navigate the Applications or Places menus to the item you want in the panel and drag and drop to the panel.
    (some of the Places open in the background..eg Music folder launched from the panel seems to open behind other windows. Apps open in the foreground.

Some indicators work in the panels. indicator-weather works well. Install then drag from menu (Applications>Accessories) to panel as above.

Beans
    Distro

Guys,

OK... I could finally confirm that xfce4-panel was amazing!!

-- Lazulum Gtk3 theming PPA: "Lazulum" New clean gtk3 theme Project.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Guys,

OK... I could finally confirm that xfce4-panel was amazing!!

That's a museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA by an Spanish architect.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro

I think it would be a good idea to have a continuance of GNOME Classic come the release of Precise. It will give others who have more legacy type systems the opportunity to still be part of the Ubuntu family, have the cutting edge kernels and updates of an LTS version and show that Ubuntu paints it's OS with a broad brush stroke.

Beans

Note: I'm trying to keep an updated version of Steps & Tweaks here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=179

Please consider this high risk ATM, I strongly recommend trying this only on a test installation. If you break it you own it. My initial focus is on gnome classic w/o effects ATM, so your mileage may vary if using gnome classic.

I began this with a fresh install of Oneiric, fully updated, and then upgraded to Precise on 11/02/2011.

Step #1:

I installed ‘gnome-session-fallback’ which also installs the following dependencies:

alacarte
    gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
    gnome-applets
    gnome-applets-data
    gnome-panel
    gnome-panel-data
    libpanel-applet-4-0
    python-gmenu

Then log out and choose your preferred session before logging back in.

NOTE: If you want to make the default session "gnome classic w/o effects" you must run this command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-fallback
    Or if you want standard "gnome classic" run:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-classic

On initial boot you’ll see a slightly familiar, and yet different, “classic” looking desktop with both an upper and lower panel:

gnome_classic_without_effects.jpg

The menu layout is a bit different but it’s mostly a difference in rearrangement. A few minutes of browsing through the apps should familiarize you fairly quickly.

Two of the most notable changes are in how the panel(s) and applets are edited, moved, etc. You’ll find that you must now press an Alt key while right-clicking the panel and or applet to facilitate moving, editing, etc.

But you’ll also notice that you must now double-click on “Application launcher (Copy a launcher from the app menu)” in the “Add to panel” window to add application launchers. After double-clicking a new window opens and you can easily select which app to add.

Step #2:

I prefer using only a lower panel, so now it’s time to do some rearranging ......... viola:

My_classic.jpg

Note: I was very surprised here, no top “unity panel” after removing the top gnome-panel as I had in Oneiric. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Step #3:

I found the overlay-scrollbars to be inconsistent (worked in some apps, but not in others) so I purged:

liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0
    liboverlay-scrollbar3-0.2-0
    overlay-scrollbar

Step #4:

Since I find it useful, I also installed ‘gnome-tweak-tool’, but it does pull in a lot of other “junk”:

caribou
    cups-pk-helper
    gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0
    gir1.2-caribou-1.0
    gir1.2-clutter-1.0
    gir1.2-cogl-1.0
    gir1.2-coglpango-1.0
    gir1.2-folks-0.6
    gir1.2-gee-1.0
    gir1.2-gkbd-3.0
    gir1.2-json-1.0
    gir1.2-mutter-3.0
    gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0
    gir1.2-polkit-1.0
    gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12
    gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2
    gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0
    gjs
    gnome-icon-theme-full
    gnome-shell
    gnome-themes-standard
    gnome-tweak-tool
    libcaribou0
    libclutter-1.0-0
    libclutter-1.0-common
    libcogl-common
    libcogl-pango0
    libcogl5
    libgjs0c
    libmozjs185-1.0
    libmutter0
    mesa-utils
    mutter-common

Since disc space is not an issue for me I guess I don’t care though. It shows up in Other > Advanced Settings. The only things I change ATM is selecting “Show mounted volumes on desktop” under the Desktop tab, and under the Theme tab I select On for both Buttons and Menus have icons.

Step #5:

Might as well move the buttons:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"
    Getting pretty close to true “classic”:

My_classic_now.jpg

Now I wish I could find a replacement for the screensaver inhibit-applet like I used in gnome 2, and a computertemp or sensors-applet, and I’m not sure what to expect as far as notifications.

Note: Regarding an inhibit applet please see post #29 regarding Caffeine.

I’d also like to have the scrollbars follow the same color as the titlebar like I could with clearlooks, so I have more tweaks to try.

Not bad for one afternoon of fiddling though.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; November 19th, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added a bit about setting the default session and Caffeine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Please post all your gnome classic (gnome-session-fallback) hints tips and workarounds in this thread. It is my hope that we can create a digest/wiki page near the end of the development cycle so that all the cool stuff can be put in one place.
    Thanks for kicking this off

Beans

First problem

Lightdm is not saving my default login so I always have to boot into Unity, then log out, then log back into classic w/o effects.

Since I followed Lubuntu during the Oneiric dev cycle, and it used lxdm, I'm stumped regarding how to change that

Can you help a dummy out

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast