Thread: Problem with Headphone Jack Detection/Audio

Hybrid View

Beans

Problem with Headphone Jack Detection/Audio

Hey gents, hoping you could help out a noob with an audio problem. I'm trying to play audio on my headphone jack, but it doesn't seem to recognize that I want the audio to play on only the jack, not the built-in speakers. I've seen a few different fixes for this problem, but none specifically for my laptop, an aging ASUS K50IJ laptop.
    Not really sure if this should be in the multimedia forum, but this is my first post. Grant me mercy, Gods of Ubuntu.
    **Update: ASUS laptop K50IJ, Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz × 2, 3GB RAM, running Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit).
    Last edited by dirkmcg78; November 2nd, 2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: OS, hardware clarification

Beans

Re: Problem with Headphone Jack Detection/Audio

I have same problem with headphone jack

my machine: Asus N53SV-S1830X Intel Core i7 - 2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM 750GB
    Intel HD3000 Graphics Card + NVidia GeForce 540M CUDA 1GB

built in speaker work perfect but as soon as i plug-in headphones then No Sound

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by muzikayise View Post
    I have same problem with headphone jack

my machine: Asus N53SV-S1830X Intel Core i7 - 2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM 750GB
    Intel HD3000 Graphics Card + NVidia GeForce 540M CUDA 1GB

built in speaker work perfect but as soon as i plug-in headphones then No Sound
    Hey I have the same laptop and presumably the same issue but I found a temporary fix, unfortunately not a permanent one yet. If you install GNOME alsa mixer and look and the slider labeled speaker with headphones plugged it will probably be at 0, if you slide it back up it should start playing from the headphones. Unfortunately you have to redo this everytime you plug in the headphones.

Beans

@Dessel, thanks for the suggestion, I think that did it. Mildly annoying, but hey, it works.
    Thanks for all the help, folks. Here's hoping 12.04 has fewer bugs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dirkmcg78 View Post
    Hey gents, hoping you could help out a noob with an audio problem. I'm trying to play audio on my headphone jack, but it doesn't seem to recognize that I want the audio to play on only the jack, not the built-in speakers. I've seen a few different fixes for this problem, but none specifically for my laptop, an aging ASUS K50IJ laptop.
    Not really sure if this should be in the multimedia forum, but this is my first post. Grant me mercy, Gods of Ubuntu.
    i found a fix and its easy just do the following:

Code:
     echo "options snd-hda-intel model=asus" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Reboot

original thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1774627&page=2

thanks to Idex his one of the "ubuntu Gods" hehe