View Poll Results: Does Ubuntu 12.04 need more customization options by default?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.

16 21.92%
  • Yes. If not, the same from above are true, AND it makes Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.

13 17.81%
  • Yes, but it doesn't conflict with the principles if not.

29 39.73%
  • No. I want my computer the be the simplest it can be as possible.

0 0%
  • No, and it doesn't conflict with the principles of the free software movement.

1 1.37%
  • No. The same as #6 AND it DOESN'T make Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.

1 1.37%
  • I don't care.

13 17.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Exclamation [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

There has recently been a big discussion regarding customization options in the latest Ubuntu versions by default, and plans to really hit Unity flaws hard before the next release are being shown. I am announcing a REVOTE for my last topic from here with extra answer options so the peoples' voices are heard more correctly, loud and clear, for the whole Ubuntu community to hear.

Please re-vote in the poll above.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

I believe it should be more customizable. But if it isn't, it in no way, shape, or form violates free software's principles. That's just ridiculous!
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    I believe it should be more customizable. But if it isn't, it in no way, shape, or form violates free software's principles. That's just ridiculous!
    +1

Then there's a lot of stuff that violates free software's principles in Linux, actual most. Because I can't bend or shape everything to my needs.

--- Well, you can if you're programmer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    +1

Then there's a lot of stuff that violates free software's principles in Linux, actual most. Because I can't bend or shape everything to my needs.

--- Well, you can if you're programmer
    Like non-free firmware blobs. And Linux itself is (mostly) open source, not necessarily free.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

I'm not sure I like the options. They have, in my opinion, commentary built-in.

Further, as pointed out elsewhere, the devs have made it clear @ UDS that customization is just a matter of time and is dependent on the availability of "helping hands".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It would be nice if it was more customizable, but first they should improve some of its already existing features. Unity is really nice in some ways, but its workspace handling is absolutely horrible. The workspace switcher just seems like another app that you launch from the sidebar, it doesn't seem integrated into the desktop at all. Gnome Shell did it right, and I think the people who make Unity should use it as an inspiration. Unless they think of another good way to handle workspaces, of course.

^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I chose I don't care. The reason for that choice was your poll was confusing and that option was the only sentence that made sense (to me).

Can we stop talking about Unity. Actually just had a funny thought; Unity is not doing so much uniting.

Beans

Mark Shuttleworth has stated that Unity will be more customizable in further releases.
    Relax and give em a break.
    +1 for I don't care.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Mark Shuttleworth has stated that Unity will be more customizable in further releases.
    This (Which is very welcome news )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    This (Which is very welcome news )

Just don't expect a huge amount of this to come in 12.04 as this is mainly about STABILITY. (LTS means Long-Term Support, but we all know that's code for Long-Term STABLE). The cool thing about Ubuntu is that the 6month release cycle is actually a neat illusion to formalise the development process. It also gives us a reasonably stable "cutting-edge" option if we don't want to wait 2 years between releases.

With the advent of gnome 3 and Unity diverging from gnome-shell, this process will be highlighted even more. It's not just new features since 10.04, it's a whole new way to interact with the GUI.

The exciting stuff will start to trickle through in 12.10, but the better stuff (I hope) will come in 13.04. This is important, because if they get a very good base with 12.04 and they build on that innovation, by the time 14.04 comes along, Ubuntu will be in a much better position to compete with Windows and Mac. I think they were hoping for this in 12.04, but I don't see that this will be groundbreaking enough.

Also, if you've been looking at ubuntu.com for the past couple of months, they've really stepped up their marketing towards business adoption of Ubuntu (which frankly we should be encouraging, because that is where the regular computer users who are not naturally curious will get to experience Linux for the first time). This means that the GUI has to be simple and intuitive enough so that the Windows/Mac zombies that use them will be able to avoid getting lost. Stability here is the key. If they start getting Windows ME-style instability and bugs, they will only think "well, I can see why this OS is free". If it is to stand up to scrutiny, Ubuntu needs to be Solid, Simple and Secure.

Now, my pontificating aside, GIVE ME THE CUSTOMISATION FEATURES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast