View Poll Results: Does Ubuntu 12.04 need more customization options by default?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.

16 21.92%
  • Yes. If not, the same from above are true, AND it makes Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.

13 17.81%
  • Yes, but it doesn't conflict with the principles if not.

29 39.73%
  • No. I want my computer the be the simplest it can be as possible.

0 0%
  • No, and it doesn't conflict with the principles of the free software movement.

1 1.37%
  • No. The same as #6 AND it DOESN'T make Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.

1 1.37%
  • I don't care.

13 17.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

Unity's dash makes absolutely no sense to me. I voted for more customization, not on principle, but because I want to radically alter the dash every time I use unity.

On the other hand, I could have voted for not caring. Ultimately Gnome Shell makes a lot more sense to me and, as both desktops mature, I think Gnome shell looks more promising in terms of customization.

Of course, by 12.04, I might shove them both if XFCE 4.10 looks good. XFCE 4.8 is already well on its way toward excellence.
    In the meantime, I've basically given up on unity.

Beans

Re: [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Mark Shuttleworth has stated that Unity will be more customizable in further releases.
    Relax and give em a break.
    I like this news too. But I voted "Yes, but doesn't conflict with free/open-source software principles". Stability is the top priority concerning Unity for 12.04, but I want Unity to be more customizable, similar to what we can do with GNOME 2.x, KDE Plasma, Xfce, etc. I want to be able to alter it, whether through themes, changing the position/behavior/look of the launcher, adding/removing stuff from the panel, etc. I want to be able to give it the Windows look, the Mac OS X look, the smartphone look, or a completely unique look... if I so desire.

The ability to customize Unity out-of-the-box is what'll finally help me to let go of GNOME 2.x in favor of Unity. (though I do like KDE Plasma quite a bit too). I just wish GNOME Shell could be that way too (which it could in the future)
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Response #6 reads:

No. The same as #6 AND it DOESN'T make Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.
    Wut?

Beans

I noticed that A lot off changes just are due to the new gnome3.

One thing is true the new gnome3 desktop is very different. The gnome3 does well provide all possible customizations needed. Ok there are not many basic themes yet and so. All needed customziation tools are avbl.

First You need to learn working with gnome3.

Ubuntu made now the integration with unity shell instead of the gnome shell.
    unfortunately the unity is far from complete. It's in basic form ready to compete with windows like system's in order to obtain A Golden Raspberry(razzie) Award.

Yes it's all easy to say things from side line.

Unity can be good for users who like it simple.

If You now use ubuntu 11.10 with the gnome-shell, train a bit and learn how it's working, ubuntu 11.10 is not that bad at all.

Here even more interesting, Using the gnome-shell, but also starting the unity 2d launcher. Woow it becomes very useful.

Personally I think If ubuntu would start thinking that direction, They will start To be again one of the Top competitors this time for A

Real Golden Best Award.

Beans

Everybody who thinks lack of customizations violates the freedom principle, doesn't understand the freedom principles. Nowhere does it say that software developers have to listen to anyone other than themselves. The only requirement is for them to provide the source code so that if you want you can either change the software yourself or hire someone to change it for you.

Basically if you don't like Unity, either don't use it or fix it yourself. You have all the freedom to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Everybody who thinks lack of customizations violates the freedom principle, doesn't understand the freedom principles. Nowhere does it say that software developers have to listen to anyone other than themselves. The only requirement is for them to provide the source code so that if you want you can either change the software yourself or hire someone to change it for you.

Basically if you don't like Unity, either don't use it or fix it yourself. You have all the freedom to do that.
    I'm always amazed how many people think this.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    Response #6 reads:

Wut?
    I just noticed that! I mean #5
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe the customization has to go further and from the beginning we should choose between Unity and a more traditional view. At least to have the opportunity to move the launcher to the bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12