I'm really not an expert, so please bare with me if this doesn't make any sense.

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a refurbished Acer Aspire One ZA3. It's the one with the obnoxious Poulsbo chipset and has a bunch of graphics issues, which I've been working through fairly well. I can't upgrade distros right now though, there's no Intel drivers for 11.04/11.10 and none of the other workarounds have worked for me. It can't load Gnome 3 and 11.04 simply crashes on its first boot. That's just fine, I like 10.04.

I use Thunderbird with enigmail. On my old, equally cheap and slow Aspire One with 10.04, it works just great. On the ZA3, it appears to install fully but freezes when it opens. It gives me the "add accounts" box but everything is grey and patchy and the program won't actually do anything. I have tried purging and reinstalling it many times in every way I can think of, from the repository and from code. I tried installing Seamonkey instead to use with enigmail but it did the exact same thing. I tried an entirely new 10.04 install, same deal. All other packages seem to work great, including graphics stuff that other users have had trouble with on the ZA3.

Any help would be great, the old netbook is on its last legs and I won't be able to read emails.