Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.10 poor overall performance

Beans

Re: 11.10 poor overall performance

I have allot of naff performance issues on both of my desktop machines, I have no idea how to debug it or even if it's fixable, maybe X11? Compiz? Gnome 3? Unity? something else? all of the above?

Any thoughts?
    I THINK: -
    If something goes wrong with a UNIX 99% of times it will be rights related!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nshiell View Post
    I have allot of naff performance issues on both of my desktop machines, I have no idea how to debug it or even if it's fixable, maybe X11? Compiz? Gnome 3? Unity? something else? all of the above?

Any thoughts?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/79878...-full-install/
    Generally speaking Ubuntu is in ******** state right now.

Beans

I've tried just about everything, including all the vsync suggestions, installing Unity 5, installing compiz from a different PPA, unchecking 'auto detect refresh rate' and manually setting the refresh rate, lowering the mouse polling, different graphics cards etc etc etc. Treating and stuttering remain, destroys the user-experience, can't use Ubuntu 11.10.

I understand 11.10 is not an LTS, but it does tarnish the Ubuntu image. Have gone back to Ubuntu 10.10. Really hope that this is address in 12.04. A little worried about the future of Ubuntu after reading "apology" from smspillaz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Deagan View Post
    I've tried just about everything, including all the vsync suggestions, installing Unity 5, installing compiz from a different PPA, unchecking 'auto detect refresh rate' and manually setting the refresh rate, lowering the mouse polling, different graphics cards etc etc etc. Treating and stuttering remain, destroys the user-experience, can't use Ubuntu 11.10.

I understand 11.10 is not an LTS, but it does tarnish the Ubuntu image. Have gone back to Ubuntu 10.10. Really hope that this is address in 12.04. A little worried about the future of Ubuntu after reading "apology" from smspillaz.

You need to do only 2 things.

Install compizconfg settings manager, Run, click on OpenGL, set texture filter to fast and uncheck sync to vblank

enable tear free with your video card ( if you can )

may have to log out and back on for changes to take affect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's most probably a problem of the currently awfully buggy Compiz and some Unity bugs combined. There's plenty of the reports on launchpad. Check out my launchpad profile, go through the bug reports tracked here and try to determine which description fits your case most closely https://bugs.launchpad.net/~bucic/ For me it was https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/763005

I followed instructions there re disabling sync to vblank and adding the testing PPAs. Since then my desktop runs like it should.
    The PPAs are ppa:vanvugt/compiz and ppa:vanvugt/unity
    The instructions on how to add the PPAs are provided on their respective launchpad pages.
    Make sure to do complete system backup before proceeding if you don't know how to revert the changes from testing PPAs. Also do a complete system backup each time before you apply updates. They are testing PPAs. They may "brake" something for you after giving you the solution you wanted and enjoyed for weeks.
    http://askubuntu.com/a/98565/29347

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12