Thread: USB device not showing

Beans

USB device not showing

hi all

I have 4 USB devices ... 3 disks, and a UPS. When I "lsusb" I can only see the disk drives (which are working perfectly).

Is there something I have missed ?

Beans

Re: USB device not showing

Hi Jethro_uk,

I guess your USB UPS is not recognized by linux. Probably it has some proprietary driver to be installed in Windows for monitoring or communication about the power situation.

Have you been able to 'see' it in Ubuntu earlier? Or in Windows? I guess it works without that communication until the battery is running low. Then you must shutdown manually unless there is automatic communication.

Have fun finding out
    Olle

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    Hi Jethro_uk,

I guess your USB UPS is not recognized by linux. Probably it has some proprietary driver to be installed in Windows for monitoring or communication about the power situation.

Have you been able to 'see' it in Ubuntu earlier? Or in Windows? I guess it works without that communication until the battery is running low. Then you must shutdown manually unless there is automatic communication.

Have fun finding out
    Olle
    Thanks Olle,

my brother got it working using some sort of Web-based interface a while ago. Unfortunately that was under 9.10 on a different machine, and I have no idea what he did. I could bother him again (it's just a phone call), but want to stand on my own two feet.

So I know the UPS *will* work - certainly under 9.10. But exactly what I need to do is a mystery.

Oh well, GIYF ....

Beans

I think your brother will be happy to help you

Let us know your result, and to make the information useful, please describe the hardware (the UPS) too!

Beans

UPDATE:

It always pays to check your hardware *100%* before posting ! The silly old cable was very slightly loose on the UPS (my server is high on a back shelf so not easy to access - I am connecting over X2Go).

After plugging cable in, I got

Code:
    Bus 004 Device 008: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
    Still couldn't get apcupsd to work though, so I installed and configure NUT. As far as I can tell that works now, after I followed this excellent guide.

The only problem I face now, is trying to get the nut cgi-bin working, so I can actually see what the UPS is up to ....

FURTHER UPDATE:

After installing nut cgi-bin, and following the README file, I now have the UPS status available on my localhost ...
    Last edited by Jethro_uk; November 2nd, 2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: language - tone down !