Thread: USB mouse woes

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

USB mouse woes

Hi.

I'm installing Ubuntu on my new laptop and have had a lot of problems with my input devices (namely my touchpad, which is an elantech and comes with a host of irritations).

The new version of Ubuntu comes standard with a version of the linux kernel that is compiled to accept elan devices, which is great because I can finally use my touchpad properly when I need to... but has introduced a new problem.

Currently, I want to be able to use a USB mouse while I'm at home. This has never previously been an issue for me. The problem is that now whenever I plug a USB mouse in I'm greeted with a strange and hard to describe problem.

Basically, the mouse does not want to leave the focus of the currently selected window. I can navigate the mouse to whatever point on the screen I want without issue, but the functionality of the mouse is entirely limited to the current in-focus window. I can not click on another window to gain it's focus in any way. Furthermore, alt+tab window switching will also fail to work, leaving me with no way to move focus between windows while the USB mouse is plugged in.

I've tried disabling the touchpad using "synclient TouchpadOff=1" which successfully disables the touchpad, but does not change the problem I'm facing with the USB mouse. This renders the USB mouse entirely non-usable.

I'm currently working on the idea that the X system itself might be at fault, or my configuration therein. Sadly, I have little to no experience working with the configuration and don't know where to start tracking down problems.

For reference, my laptop is a Samsung RF510. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10, on Gnome 3 with gnome-shell. I realize that I should be giving more information, but not sure what will help, so I'll be glad to post whatever is required on request.

Beans
    Distro

Re: USB mouse woes

Bump.

I could really use some assistance with this.

Beans
    Distro

Nobody?

Beans

Sorry, best of luck buddy, this sounds like a bug that's been there for a while

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1335101