Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if your new distro was a car.......

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

if your new distro was a car.......

this is for all the guys who have just moved up to Oneiric and at times want to call the cops so irate do they feel
    but it can be read for any upgrade to any new distro

so you had a car/distro and then you exchanged for the next one up

but when you got in there you saw there had been changes

the driving wheel had been taken out and instead was a shiny set of lights which blipped some of the time but not always by any means

one of the front seats was now facing backwards but at other times it faced sideways

the lovely trim you liked on the seats was now a lurid orange apart from on tuesdays when it is green

sometimes the driver seat is not there but there is no pattern there

the side windows are all blackened but worry not there is a guy in an alley in the far side of town who sometimes is there on a friday and knows a way to bring them back

etc etc etc .................................... you get it

well guys do not think we are not grateful for this wonderful Ubuntu
    we aRE
    but can we think about the AVERAGE user?
    there are some guys whose soundcard has not yet been picked up on Oneiric
    i have to kill pulse most times to get my sound to start

So thank you but this time i nearly threw my computer out of the window AND this time i waited for the proper release
    Last edited by coffeecat; November 1st, 2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Removed superfluous comment
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: if your new distro was a car.......

Reopened at request of OP and moved to Recurring Discussions.

@everyone, have fun but please be respectful of others and others' opinions and keep in mind the forum Code of Conduct

Any trolling and this gets closed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

so you had a car/distro and then you exchanged for the next one up

but when you got in there you saw there had been changes
    Ok, I honestly don't get your point. Before I buy a car I go to a dealer and carefully look at, and if I don't like what I see I don't buy this particular model. I think people should do the same with Linux distributions. There are liveCD's available, which allow you to carefully look at the distro and see if you like it. Besides that, there are alternatives available. I, for example, don't use Ubuntu but have Xubuntu installed and I am happy with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's really not that bad a change. Unity integrates nicely with most apps, it allows quick searching with dash, has a launcher for the most used apps, etc... Just something to get used to. It's different, but not bad. It's like going from a 90's or early 2000's automobile to a modern one.

Sure, cars worked just fine a decade ago, but they work better now, despite most not having a stick shift or manual seat and window adjustment...

I use Ubuntu with Unity everyday, it never frustrates me, it's stable, it's easy to navigate, it just works. Sure, it's not nearly as customizable as Gnome 2, but it has a nice consistency and utilitarian quality to it.
    Last edited by Mikeb85; November 1st, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

yes all fair points

i did not check the live disc because i liked all precious versions and trusted it would be fine
    but now with Oneiric i had to remove certain aspects to go back to things i liked which were there before

maybe i should stay with an earlier version or move sideways to Mint or something else

but i like Ubuntu and want to remain here

I cannot see Unity could ever be for me
    Hard to explain why
    Maybe too much is fixed/done for you and this does not sit well with the way i like to operate
    Also it reminds me of docks on Mac and that really does not appeal

But all you say is right could have got the kernel and stayed back
    i dont know will need to think about all this...
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I actually quite like Unity,--after some customizations and applying some third party tweaks,--so that is not an issue for me at all. But apart from Unity, 11.10 is just full of bugs at this point. I wouldn't put it on any working machine now.

That brings up a general point. All Ubuntu releases are buggy at release time (10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and now 11.10) so I usually wait a few months before updating my OS. If you trade in your stable system for a new release when it comes out you are asking for troubles.

Now with the 11.xx series I think they are even more buggy and unstable than usual new releases because of the change to Unity first and then more drastically, to gnome3. So I would wait even longer to update. It took longer than 3 months for Natty to become stable and solid on my test partition and I expect it would take as long if not longer for 11.10 to be ready (I am going to replace 10.10 with 11.04 as my main OS next month now i have throughly tested it and I am confident that it improves upon 10.10 on my machine, I could have done this a few months ago, just haven't gotten around to)
    Last edited by beew; November 2nd, 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

well beew thanx for that

normally i would go for the development version and tear my hair out for a few weeks and swear never to do that again

i only have one machine just Ubuntu and do everything on there

so this time i waited for official release

and then so much is different this time that 2 weeks in i am still trying to cope with it all but getting there

so maybe the answer is to wait for 3 months into it before upgrading but that seems insane since the distro tells you ready to upgrade and you believe them

my trust has been dented here and hearing guys cannot get sound at all breaks your heart maybe they too only have one machine

the sound issue needs to be addressed and simplified it is far too complex even for people ready to spend time looking at it

on the one hand we are told there is a drive to make it more "mainstream" Unity is certainly that

on the other hand nothing has been done to make the sound more manageable
    look at the sound problems on the multimedia & video pages

baffles me so is it going mainstream or just unsure where it is going?

Thanx for your input. From now on when it says new version available ready to go i shall look the other way for a long while before thinking of moving up

That does not seem right to me tho

Ready to go should mean just that and this time it really did not.

PS when you go to the ubuntu.com page Oneiric and the LTS are the only 2 choices so if i am going there for the first time i would download that and well good luck to me

is there a place where one can download earlier distro versions ????

ok found it http://releases.ubuntu.com/
    Last edited by shantiq; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Ok, I honestly don't get your point. Before I buy a car I go to a dealer and carefully look at, and if I don't like what I see I don't buy this particular model. I think people should do the same with Linux distributions. There are liveCD's available, which allow you to carefully look at the distro and see if you like it. Besides that, there are alternatives available. I, for example, don't use Ubuntu but have Xubuntu installed and I am happy with it.
    I generally agree. The problem is that when people have used something for many years and all the sudden it completely changes it can be frustrating... and it can be a challenge to do all the investigation as to where to go from there.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My gas tank is now on the left?
    My gear shift is behind the wheel instead of between the seats?
    My radio is now buttons instead of dials and only takes CDs not cassette tapes??

OMG HOW WILL PEOPLE DEAL WITH SUCH MADNESS
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like to see the default dist-upgrade behavior toggled off. I don't think the majority of computer users know what they are in for & just click because they think their OS is recommending it.

As for the DE wars, I think we have plenty of options & I personally have no problem getting used to the new ones. In fact I would say that the thing I like most about Gnome shell is that it feels like it adapts to me, not vice versa.

My thought for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast