Thread: Help with Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Help with Network Manager

Ubuntu 11.10
    Internet connection is via "cable" without any modem or router at my end
    Computer is Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop

When I start my PC login, network manager (NM) tries to establish a internet connection. It may not be successful immediately and pic in row 1 appears briefly on the screen but NM keeps trying until it makes a connection and then pic in row 2 appears briefly.

If I click on the NM icon in the top right, I'll get a dropdown indicating which of my DSL connections is active. (I have just the one ISP). It's DSL 4 in the example in the pic on the left in row 3.

Now, if I choose to disconnect, the dropdown changes to the pic on the right (in row 3). At any time later, I can click on the NM icon and then click on any connection from the dropdown to start an internet session. No problem so far.

However, if the connection drops by itself (which is not rare), on a very few occasions, NM re-establishes a connection. Most of the time NM doesn't try to re-establish a connection and when I click on the NM icon to restart the internet session, I see the pic in row 4. None of my connections are visible. I work around this by opening a terminal and running "sudo service network-manager restart". Only after this, does NM start trying to establish a connection and I see the full dropdown shown on the left in row 3.

Is there something I can do to get NM not to stop and be required to be restarted when the disconnection is "involuntary"?

I don't recall having this problem in 11.04 and it has started only after I upgraded to 11.10. If it matters, it was an in situ upgrade on line and not a "clean/fresh install".

Edit: this is related to this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1861127
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vasa1; November 6th, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added link; modified post a bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help with Network Manager

I also have this problem. i have a DSL network connection and if it shuts down of its own accord, the whole link disappears from my network manager menu. I can see it if I open edit connections, but I can't restart it or activate it in any way. I managed to restore this by restarting the system. but there must be a better way to get connectivity back after an outage

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rimibchatterjee View Post
    I also have this problem. i have a DSL network connection and if it shuts down of its own accord, the whole link disappears from my network manager menu. I can see it if I open edit connections, but I can't restart it or activate it in any way. I managed to restore this by restarting the system. but there must be a better way to get connectivity back after an outage
    Hi, fellow sufferer!
    As I mentioned, I'm working around it by having to open a terminal and running "sudo service network-manager restart". This avoids the need for a re-login (or reboot). I feel it shouldn't happen but it does

Beans
    Distro

I came across this:
    http://domesticatedonion.net/eng/201...rk-management/

I'm trying it. Let's see!

Beans
    Distro

^^^ That doesn't seem to make a difference. I still have to restart network manager via the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you look at the setting for your active connection is the checkbox for Available to All Users toggled on?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    When you look at the setting for your active connection is the checkbox for Available to All Users toggled on?
    Yes. I have set that for all the connections.

Beans
    Distro

I seem to remember having this problem a year or so ago, my solution was to temporarily switch to wicd until a version of networkmanager came out that worked right.

I couldn't find a definitive fix on the web.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    I seem to remember having this problem a year or so ago, my solution was to temporarily switch to wicd until a version of networkmanager came out that worked right.

I couldn't find a definitive fix on the web.
    Chuck, thanks for replying

It's okay since the problem is not unmanageable. I just thought there maybe an easy fix that I didn't know about. I'm too much of a noob to change to wicd. I'd rather keep what comes with the original install.

Beans
    Distro

It's possible that the problem is the result of something that happened due to the dist-upgrade.

I would probably attempt to purge networkmanager & reinstall it just in case the configuration got messed up in the upgrade process.

If that didn't work I'd create a launcher to run your network service restart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast