Thread: Force Quit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face Force Quit

hey just did a clean install of 11.10 cant seem to figure out how to get a force quit button like i had in lucid, any clues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Force Quit

Quote Originally Posted by IchBinWamphyri View Post
    hey just did a clean install of 11.10 cant seem to figure out how to get a force quit button like i had in lucid, any clues?
    The desktop has significantly changed since 10.04 (as you'd expect given 18 months of development ) and although you can't use the Gnome panel applet anymore, you can still get a force quit button onto the Launcher (the sidebar on the left of the screen).

Click on the big Ubuntu button on the Launcher. Type "main" and the first item that appears is a program called "Main Menu". Click on this and then click on New Item.

Create a new item with the command 'xkill' and give it a name like 'Force Quit' or something. Choose an icon if you please.

Close the window and then click on the Ubuntu button again to open the Dash. Start typing 'Force Quit' to show your new menu item. Drag it to the Launcher.

Now whenever you want to force-quit a program, click on that new icon in the Launcher and then click on the program you want to kill, and it will close.

If you accidentally click on the icon and don't want to kill a program, press Escape to cancel.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.