Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network drops. Can't reconnect

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Network drops. Can't reconnect

After upgrading to 11.10, I'm finding that my DSL net connection drops after about 10-15 min and I have to reboot to start it again.

Just logging out and logging in doesn't seem to help.

Please help me fix this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Network drops. Can't reconnect

Could you please be a bit more specific as to how you connect? Do you use a modem attached to your computer or use a router? Did it start recently? Did you install anything new recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    Could you please be a bit more specific as to how you connect? Do you use a modem attached to your computer or use a router? Did it start recently? Did you install anything new recently?
    I have a cable internet connection. It's a DSL connection. I just have to provide my laptop's MAC, ISP username and password. No router or modem at my end.

It started after I upgraded to 11.10 from 11.04 which worked without problems.

I have not tweaked/installed any software after the upgrade. As I said, after it drops, I have to reboot to get it to work. I don't do anything other than reboot.

Beans
    Distro

I hope this picture helps:

Edit: removed pic as per suggestion below
    Last edited by vasa1; October 15th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

(No experience with DSL on Ubuntu)
    Go to Network Manager -> Edit Connections -> DSL -> Your DSL connection name -> Edit -> Make sure everything is correct in there. Try ticking Connect Automatically and Available to All Users.
    When you disconnect, try pressing the Network Manager icon and pressing your DSL connection name.

EDIT: Saw your new post, please remove the attachment as someone with malicious intent might try attacking your IP.
    As another way, try telling Ubuntu to turn off your network interface then turn it on
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type these commands
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    It will ask for your password, type it, note: it won't be visible, even asterisks.
    Last edited by Lisiano; October 15th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro

(No experience with DSL on Ubuntu)
    Go to Network Manager -> Edit Connections -> DSL -> Your DSL connection name -> Edit -> Make sure everything is correct in there. Try ticking Connect Automatically and Available to All Users.
    When you disconnect, try pressing the Network Manager icon and pressing your DSL connection name.
    Yes, that's how I set it up. Connect automatically and Available to all users.

I can't get a screenshot of the dropdown otherwise I'd post that here but when the net is connected I see:
    DSL Connection 3
    My other DSL Connections and auto eth0
    Disconnect
    Enable Networking (ticked)
    Connection information
    Edit connections

Then (from memory) when the net drops in this new way (on 11.10), none of my connections are listed in the dropdown although they're available in "edit connections".

Beans
    Distro

As another way, try telling Ubuntu to turn off your network interface then turn it on
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type these commands
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    The first command killed my connection just the way it has been doing in post 1.
    The second command didn't help in restoring the connection. I'm back after a reboot

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I have no more ideas as to why this is happening.
    The only thing that might help would be trying this
    Code:
    sudo service networking stop
    sudo service networking start
    As previous method, it will also turn off your connection so try it when your connection drops again.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I have no more ideas as to why this is happening.
    The only thing that might help would be trying this
    Code:
    sudo service networking stop
    sudo service networking start
    As previous method, it will also turn off your connection so try it when your connection drops again.
    Not to worry and appreciate the help!

I suspect it's not something serious like drivers or whatever ... just some config issue.

I must mention that towards the end of the upgrade process, there was "an offer" to retain some old setting relating to the network manager but I went with the option to have the all new whatever it was. I can't be more specific since I was really stressed by that time even though everything was going error-free.

Perhaps, the problem may just go away by itself! It's 35 min since I restarted the computer and logged in.

Beans
    Distro

The file Oneiric tried to install is
    /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    The old Natty file is
    /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.dpkg-old

Take a look inside them, they might contain some sensitive stuff like MACs and IPs so if you wish to post those, please substitute/censor the MACs and IPs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast