Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on smartphone! - What do you thin about it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Ubuntu on smartphone! - What do you thin about it?

I wouldn't mind a tablet flavor of ubuntu to replace webos when HP kills the platform. I love my touchpad. That said, I don't have much optimism that the platform will survive HP's mismanagement.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu heads to smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs

Interesting strategy.

Specifically, Shuttleworth sees “Android as its primary competitor. But, from the industry viewpoint, Google acquisition Of Motorola Mobility has shook up the hardware vendors, so some of them are looking for non-Android alternatives.”

Shuttleworth added that Canonical can be very congenial to service partners and independent software vendors (ISV)s. With Ubuntu, “there’s plenty of room to share revenue with providers. We’ve also already heard from people who are already shipping tablets that they want Ubuntu on the tablet.” In addition, “Ubuntu already has a developer and customer base.”
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could definitely be interesting but then the launcher vertical would take up too much screen space. Honestly, Android is so far along I can't see Ubuntu being able to displace it. And for Ubuntu to compete it would need to have a horizontal launcher and widgets would be nice, but then it would basically just be the same as Android (Android 4.0 has a top bar, a search box similar to dash, a horizontal launcher and the < home > buttons...).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If it was compatible with Android apps, that could really be something. I'd need GPS navigation in addition to ordinary phone functions before I'd even consider an Ubuntu phone. Being able to run the regular Google Maps and Google Navigation would satisfy the requirement.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

so, don't know if this is relevant, but i think the openmoko freerunner phone uses (or at least can use) debian, so i can see another ubuntu variant for this kind of thing (whether it would be useful or not, hmm, ...).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by calcmandan View Post
    I wouldn't mind a tablet flavor of ubuntu to replace webos when HP kills the platform. I love my touchpad. That said, I don't have much optimism that the platform will survive HP's mismanagement.
    This already hapened a while ago. Even jokes are made from that

My first thought was indeed about this: webOS and the HP toy simply came too late, into a market with other companies strongly established. Now is even more late for such an attempt, I'm afraid it wouldn't succeed.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

That's the thing, who cares? Joke all you want. It's my platform of choice and I really can't see myself on droid or ios. I've tried both platforms and they both literally left me frustrated.

Yeah the fanboys will always laugh at the other technologies, and it's silly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    This already hapened a while ago. Even jokes are made from that

My first thought was indeed about this: webOS and the HP toy simply came too late, into a market with other companies strongly established. Now is even more late for such an attempt, I'm afraid it wouldn't succeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would probably get one for the sake of it, if they ever saw the light of day.

Realistically though would Canonical want to engage in the patent wars around those devices? In the event they achieved some success, I imagine they or their partners would be hit with lawsuits.

Ideally all those devices should be sold as open hardware so we could choose what to put on them...

M.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Why do people want a desktop os on a tablet or phone?
    I agree - that's an utterly stupid idea. It's almost as bad as expecting people to use a tablet OS on their desktop...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by whitefort View Post
    I agree - that's an utterly stupid idea. It's almost as bad as expecting people to use a tablet OS on their desktop...
    Yea I dunno what Microsoft is thinking with Windows 8. I commend them for actually doing a radical change for once though.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast