Thread: Logitech C910 in linux - any first hand experience?

Beans

Logitech C910 in linux - any first hand experience?

Hi,

I just ordered a C910 and maybe jumped the gun a little but I think I still have time to cancel the order if I want.

From googling around I see it works out of the box on ubuntu but seems to have some frame rate issues (but it seems even the windows drivers hold back the frame rate to improve the low light performance). I am still concerned about one or two issues so was hoping for some first hand feedback.

Logitech claims skype will only use this camera at 720p. Is this true in Linux as well and is this just a skype limitation? Are there any alternative video chat programs that use the full 1080p? It doesn't seem to make much sense to get a 1080p camera to only use it at 720p and my main usage will be video-chatting, not recording. So is this somehow a hardware limitation (don't see how as it can record at 1080p) or just skype-specific?

Also, how's the frame rate in linux? Is there noticeable lag over windows?

thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Logitech C910 in linux - any first hand experience?

I seem to be reading that the C510 offers much of the same functionality at a fraction of the price so is this maybe a better deal if my only usage will be video-chatting rather than recording?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Logitech C910 in linux - any first hand experience?

Skype doesn't do 1080p anywhere. You can still record 1080p using the included software on Windows. I just skype from Windows because Linux doesn't like see the mic on my 510.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L board | Antec P182 case | Seasonic S12 II 430W | 8GB G.Skill DDR-800 | Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB | WD Green 640GB disk | PIONEER DVR-216DBK DVD | Viewsonic 22" LCD 1680x1050 | Ubuntu Linux