Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Install Lubuntu on USB Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOW TO Install Lubuntu on USB Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ThickPizza View Post
    Is it just me, or is forum.lxde.org down?
    Yet again, it's down and I confirm that. I must move all my guides from there to Lubuntu One Stop Thread or a new thread. Better to keep everything here.

I'm loving Lubuntu, though. Personally, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop, but Lubuntu + remote desktop has allowed me to not only resurrect my parents old and outdated laptops, but allowed me to easily keep them maintained while I'm at school.
    Thank you for using and choosing Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi all, I had some time yesterday and decided to make a usb of Lubuntu. I followed amjjawad tutorial on this thread, and once again it was a flawless install. Thank you amjjawad for making such thorough tutorials.
    I have a question, I have made copies with the cd/usb creater in Ubuntu, and can do it with a 2 gig usb drive. why can it be done with this tutorial? Don't get me wrong I like the end results here, I just want to know the difference for learning purposes.
    Thank you
    borunco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Borunco View Post
    Hi all, I had some time yesterday and decided to make a usb of Lubuntu. I followed amjjawad tutorial on this thread, and once again it was a flawless install. Thank you amjjawad for making such thorough tutorials.
    At your service, my friend and I'm glad I still can help (not yet rusty)

I have a question, I have made copies with the cd/usb creater in Ubuntu, and can do it with a 2 gig usb drive. why can it be done with this tutorial? Don't get me wrong I like the end results here, I just want to know the difference for learning purposes.
    Thank you
    borunco
    My bad, I was out of town when you posted your Q and I didn't get back to you, sorry

I'm afraid that wasn't clear enough for me, my friend
    Are you trying to "install" or creating "LiveUSB"? because the approach is different and this guide is for "installing" to an USB Drive

Let me know, I'm here now

Beans

From your tutorial:-

/dev/sdc1 will be your ROOT Partition. Note that, you don't really need /home partition here. Total Size is just 4GB so no need for that. After all, this is not meant for day-to-day use or long-run use.

....but could be; I use a 4Gb pendrive (system / no personal info) + 16Gb or 32Gb pendrive (data / music) on a netbook.

This way it will be easy to upgrade every 6 months.
    (To access the Internet = 4Gb pendrive only needed.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by km3952 View Post
    From your tutorial:-

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    /dev/sdc1 will be your ROOT Partition. Note that, you don't really need /home partition here. Total Size is just 4GB so no need for that. After all, this is not meant for day-to-day use or long-run use.
    ....but could be; I use a 4Gb pendrive (system / no personal info) + 16Gb or 32Gb pendrive (data / music) on a netbook.

This way it will be easy to upgrade every 6 months.
    (To access the Internet = 4Gb pendrive only needed.)
    It is totally up to the user to decide whether he will use this approach for learning, testing or daily tasks

My job is to highlight the important issues and notes and the user is free to choose his/her own path

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just installed it to a 32G usb stick lets now see how it works, I chose 1G swap, 15G / , and 16G for home. I'll be back with results

BTW great tutorial, thanks for sharing it, I just think that the gparted step is not needed since the live installer can do the partitions things as well (if you know how to use it)
    Mi pequeño blog sobre ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i want to install ubuntu on my 16GB flash drive and make portable OS.
    i know that i can install it i run ubuntu on same PC, but can i install it on flash drive and use it on multiple PC and install all updates?
    is anyone try something like this?
    Security - a Journey not a Destination

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mandza View Post
    i want to install ubuntu on my 16GB flash drive and make portable OS.
    i know that i can install it i run ubuntu on same PC, but can i install it on flash drive and use it on multiple PC and install all updates?
    is anyone try something like this?
    Hi mandza, if you fallow this tutorial you can totally use a flash drive and make a portable OS. I do it all the time, just make sure you do what amjjawad tells you at the beginning of the thread and you will be just fine.

enjoy Lubuntu

borunco

Beans

What type of speed is everyone seeing? I've tried installing Ubuntu & Lubuntu on flash drivers and they are so slow they aren't usalbe. They are 2.0 USB drives.

Anyone had any luck getting one of the light linux systems to run on a USB? I've been trying to get SliTaz to work but I just can't get it to even boot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cforput View Post
    What type of speed is everyone seeing? I've tried installing Ubuntu & Lubuntu on flash drivers and they are so slow they aren't usalbe. They are 2.0 USB drives.

Anyone had any luck getting one of the light linux systems to run on a USB? I've been trying to get SliTaz to work but I just can't get it to even boot.
    Hi cforput, make sure you partition your usb before installing and follow this tutorial it should work with any OS. I have installed Ubuntu with all the Wiesel, like the cube and I can run it just a little slower than a regular Hdd install. If you have a real old system you might have a little slowness, but still it will be faster than using it for the live cd. If you partition and format as instructed in this tutorial, and you set your system bios to boot from usb , your system will see your usb as a Hdd. You need to set up your bios to boot #1 cd/dvd #2 usb Hdd #3 your internal Hdd. It should totally work ths is not the fault the OS. Make sure you don't have a Live cd in the computer when you try to boot from a usb, because the system will boot from the cd first or in some systems it will get confused? and run super slow if it dose get to boot.
    Regards
    borunco
    Last edited by Borunco; November 21st, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast