Thread: Ooops I broke my Ubuntu 11.10 login screen!?!?

Beans

Angry Ooops I broke my Ubuntu 11.10 login screen!?!?

Would appreciate ANY help with my problem? I've recently installed 11.10 and decided to change the logon screen via gksu gedit /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf. That went OK, until I mistakenly removed the entire greeter line? Now my beautiful ubuntu install just displays the purple loading screen? I've reinstalled lightdm via the terminal after removing it, but I just need to put the default login back where it belongs. PLEASE HELP!?!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ooops I broke my Ubuntu 11.10 login screen!?!?

I don't know whether this will help, but this is the contents of a default /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf.

Code:
    #
    # background = Background file to use, either an image path or a color (e.g. #772953)
    # logo = Logo file to use
    # theme-name = GTK+ theme to use
    # font-name = Font to use
    # xft-antialias = Whether to antialias Xft fonts (true or false)
    # xft-dpi = Resolution for Xft in dots per inch (e.g. 96)
    # xft-hintstyle = What degree of hinting to use (hintnone, hintslight, hintmedium, or hintfull)
    # xft-rgba = Type of subpixel antialiasing (none, rgb, bgr, vrgb or vbgr)
    #
    [greeter]
    background=/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
    logo=/usr/share/unity-greeter/logo.png
    theme-name=Ambiance
    icon-theme-name=ubuntu-mono-dark
    font-name=Ubuntu 11
    xft-antialias=true
    xft-dpi=96
    xft-hintstyle=hintslight
    xft-rgba=rgb
    If your /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf is the problem, you could restore it by booting into recovery mode and editing it with nano (fiddly), or booting with a live CD, mounting your Ubuntu partition and using a gksu gedit text editor.

Beans

Angry Re: Ooops I broke my Ubuntu 11.10 login screen!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I don't know whether this will help, but this is the contents of a default /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf.

Code:
    #
    # background = Background file to use, either an image path or a color (e.g. #772953)
    # logo = Logo file to use
    # theme-name = GTK+ theme to use
    # font-name = Font to use
    # xft-antialias = Whether to antialias Xft fonts (true or false)
    # xft-dpi = Resolution for Xft in dots per inch (e.g. 96)
    # xft-hintstyle = What degree of hinting to use (hintnone, hintslight, hintmedium, or hintfull)
    # xft-rgba = Type of subpixel antialiasing (none, rgb, bgr, vrgb or vbgr)
    #
    [greeter]
    background=/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
    logo=/usr/share/unity-greeter/logo.png
    theme-name=Ambiance
    icon-theme-name=ubuntu-mono-dark
    font-name=Ubuntu 11
    xft-antialias=true
    xft-dpi=96
    xft-hintstyle=hintslight
    xft-rgba=rgb
    If your /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf is the problem, you could restore it by booting into recovery mode and editing it with nano (fiddly), or booting with a live CD, mounting your Ubuntu partition and using a gksu gedit text editor.
    Thanks for the help CoffeeCat. Don't suppose there are any live CD/gksu with gedit text editor 101s? I have the 11.04 live CD. *wounded*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The live 11.04 CD will be just fine. Boot up with it, choose "try Ubuntu" to get to the live desktop, open a Nautilus file-browser and click on your Ubuntu root partition in the left pane. It will be mounted. Press ctrl-L and a text path will appear showing you the mountpoint for your Ubuntu partition. This will be either /media/<partition-label> if the partition has a label, or /media/<UUID> if not. (The UUID will be a very long alphanumeric string.) Now, in a terminal:

Code:
    gksu gedit /media/mountpoint/etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf
    And edit the file back to how it should be. Obviously, change "mountpoint" to what you found in Nautilus.

Beans

Many thanks CoffeeCat! I've now been reunited with my favourite OS! Much appreciated!