Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome shell

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome shell

I just installed ubuntu 11.10. I switch to gnome shell, my display is tearing, flickering. I have made adjustments in ati catalyst control center but no improvement. I really want to use gnome instead of unity. Any suggestion to solve the problem. Thanks

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome shell

you need to remove the fglrx driver and install the open source Radeon driver.

use this as a guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

You'll probably have to click on the link under "Removing the proprietary fglrx driver." Tha'ts what you need to do. Also ignore the part about adding the xorg-edgers PPA, because that doesn't work with Gnome-shell either.

Read up on it first, but for me, these terminal commands and a reboot got me going:

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh  # (if it exists)
      sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Once you get it running to your liking, to change it so you automatically boot up into gnome-shell instead of Unity run this command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-shell
    to undo that so it boots back into Unity by default:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s ubuntu

this will get gnome-shell working. The open source drivers are pretty good, but you will take a performance hit if you play 3d games like Urban Terror or Oil Rush. So if you don't care about that, the open source drivers are the way to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Don't forget -phigh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by randywilharm View Post
    try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Don't forget -phigh
    When I did it, I forgot the phigh.....What did I miss when I forgot the phigh?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does this mean that if I install Ubuntu 11.10 on my iMac (which doesn't work with the open-source driver and needs one downloaded from ATI/AMD's website) I won't be able to use gnome-shell??

Beans

You will be able to use classic gnome (with much less custimability) but not the new gnome 3

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Totally not what I wanted to hear...
    Is there more information about what causes this somewhere? Why gnome-shell won't work with the driver?

EDIT: According to this, AMD said the issue would be fixed in the 11.9 version of the driver. I see that this driver is already out, at least for newer graphics cards.
    Last edited by Zalbor; October 20th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome shell

waynefouts, thanks a lot. I followed your instructions, I could get gnome shell working well now, no more tearing, but some flickering still there on and off. Still have to try 3D games and see.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by richard9090 View Post
    waynefouts, thanks a lot. I followed your instructions, I could get gnome shell working well now, no more tearing, but some flickering still there on and off. Still have to try 3D games and see.
    If I were you, I'd see if my graphics card was supported by the driver I mentioned above and give it a try.
    I can't test it yet myself though, because I'd have to reinstall and I'm waiting for Mint 12.

EDIT: It's a bit risky though, I've had trouble removing a driver from their website before.
    Last edited by Zalbor; October 20th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the helpful info folks....
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast