View Poll Results: Does Ubuntu 12.04 need more customization options by default?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.

60 92.31%
  • No. I want my computer to be the simplest it can be as possible.

5 7.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    I would say it almost has the look down. Coloring the background of launcher icons just makes it hard to distinguish the icon's shape, giving a muddy appearance to every icon no matter how much time the icon designer put into make it clear.

I hope going forward they reserve the background color for an indication of some state, such as when the app is open, so the native state of the icon is simple and clean.

Admittedly, that's a minor point. The rest of it seems to be coming along pretty well.
    I agree though. Minor or not, its certainly a point on polishing and fine-tuning which is what 12.04 is supposed to be all about!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    I would say it almost has the look down. Coloring the background of launcher icons just makes it hard to distinguish the icon's shape, giving a muddy appearance to every icon no matter how much time the icon designer put into make it clear.

I hope going forward they reserve the background color for an indication of some state, such as when the app is open, so the native state of the icon is simple and clean.

Admittedly, that's a minor point. The rest of it seems to be coming along pretty well.
    The users also should have the option to add new icon sets and change features of the launcher, as well as placement. Ubuntu had WAY more customization options BY DEFAULT back in the 10.10 days. It's sad, because what we have been part of for so many years now is slowly becoming corrupt like the rest of the options out there.
    Heck, even Windows XP has more customization options right out-of-the-box than Ubuntu 11.10! That is just sad. THE POWER NEEDS TO BE TO THE USERS.
    Last edited by linuxuser12345; October 29th, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added a few extra sentences.
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    ... most people don't need more choices. Just one, that works.
    I respectfully disagree. The problem with this particular assertion is that it implies that we all agree on what the definition of "works" is. There are as many definitions of that word as there are computers and people who use them (some of us have several definitions of our own and not just one).
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro

Being a function-before-fashion kind of guy myself, I need Unity to work well (for me) more than I need it to sit there and look pretty. I really need unity to stay out of my way and not be such an obstacle to efficient workflow.

Specifically, I'd be a happy camper if only these two things (serious IMO) issues would be addressed:

Minimize Application's Windows upon clicking its Launcher Icon.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

Currently clicking it does nothing.

Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/682788

Unity's just great with one window open. Playing hide and seek with multiple windows' menus is not my idea of a fun time. Nor a productive one either.
    Last edited by tekstr1der; October 30th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The problem with this particular assertion is that it implies that we all agree on what the definition of "works" is. There are as many definitions of that word as there are computers and people who use them (some of us have several definitions of our own and not just one).
    Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    I could not agree more!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tekstr1der View Post
    Being a function-before-fashion kind of guy myself, I need Unity to work well (for me) more than I need it to sit there and look pretty. I really need unity to stay out of my way and not be such an obstacle to efficient workflow.

Specifically, I'd be a happy camper if only these two things (serious IMO) issues would be addressed:

Minimize Application's Windows upon clicking its Launcher Icon.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

Currently clicking it does nothing.

Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/682788

Unity's just great with one window open. Playing hide and seek with multiple windows' menus is not my idea of a fun time. Nor a productive one either.
    I do agree with you, somewhat.
    I definitely think that Canonical and the community need to find a solution for people that use their computers for business and productivity to have quick menu access for windows that aren't currently active. I am proposing that all windows have full global menu support (like now, but with LibreOffice global menu as well), and all windows that aren't full screen have the same thing PLUS a quick menu button in a corner of the window, similar to how Firefox's menu works in Windows 7.
    But, I do think the users of Ubuntu (that includes you and I) deserve to have easy, feature-rich customization options built-in by default.
    Last edited by linuxuser12345; October 30th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

As long as I have these, I will be happy:

• Global menu hiding as an option. Some like it on, some like it off. I like it off.
    • Launcher position to left and bottom as an option (right and top do not make sense)
    • Launcher Expand as an option (aka make it like Docky or OS X)

These three things mean a lot to me.

Beans

It looks like everything is Unity related lately..
    This is becoming boring for me, I'd just use the apps and forget about the rest.. the whole OS/DE/.. should be an intangible layer.

Beans
    Distro

Everyone, if you have any ideas, please also send them in to brainstorm.ubuntu.com to possibly be included in future releases.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast