Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB won't boot new kernel!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: GRUB won't boot new kernel!

Quote Originally Posted by Shmook View Post
    @amjjawad...whoops I forgot we'd covered that. And yeah these were similar cases, but different instances yknow.
    Concept is the same. Check your other thread

@oldfred -- do I read you correctly -- I should ultimately use legacy instead of grub2? And I'm afraid to say I don't quite understand. I recall chainloading to boot Winders before using legacy...but chainloading a file? Sorry but if you could elaborate a bit please.
    I think oldfred meant that you need to edit your GRUB2 Configuration file. oldfred is much better than me in these stuff so you are with very capable hands

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What boot loader does Archbang use. If grub legacy, just install its boot loader to the archbang root partition and add a chainload entry to 40_custom. If it uses grub2 you may have to run the grub updates in both systems so Ubuntu can find the new entries in Archbang's grub menu.
    Doesn't matter whether it is grub legacy or grub2, installing to root partition should be fine. I multiboot several *buntus and they all use grub2. I don't have to update grub in all of them, only in the main Natty install which controls boot.

@OP don't know about AB but some distros like Fedora actually has an option of not installing bootloader at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    i don't have to update grub in all of them, only in the main install which controls boot.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Smile Re: GRUB won't boot new kernel!

You're right amjjawad -- after thinking about it for a minute it is pretty much identical -- both times AB had not been recognized for some reason. What confused me (and led me to think this was a separate problem) was that I got it to be recognized by Ubuntu by using GCust to install to the MBR, so it felt like the cause must be different. Silly me.

And oldfred -- first thanks very much -- and by Mint being my bootloader -- is that indicated by the boot flag - the one I never know what to do with while using gParted or installing Puppy? And also should I change that? If I were to install a different distro on sda2 for instance -- well I guess I'd just have to rewrite to the MBR...

And yes that's how I came to this situation -- wrote from Ubuntu, sda5, to the MBR using GrubCustomizer. So now -- using Mint -- I should remove the ArchBang entry from os-prober, and manually type in the hdd and partition as you showed. I'm guessing it'll look something like:

menuentry "ArchBang" {
    set root=(hd0,6) ---->if the drive/partition is: sda7
    chainloader +1
    }

my only other question -- well 2 questions:
    1)Can I chainload all OS's this way or only ones that use legacy grub?
    2)Where does AB's menu.lst come in? Do I use that in the 40_Custom entry somewhere?

But I think I grasp this now and am very grateful to you both.
    Last edited by Shmook; October 29th, 2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: sleep deprivation-caused mistake

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You can only chainload an entry that has another boot loader in the PBR. You can use the other entry I posted.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Shmook View Post
    You're right amjjawad -- after thinking about it for a minute it is pretty much identical -- both times AB had not been recognized for some reason. What confused me (and led me to think this was a separate problem) was that I got it to be recognized by Ubuntu by using GCust to install to the MBR, so it felt like the cause must be different. Silly me.
    Don't call yourself "silly", this is called Learning

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you chainload to a grub legacy install you will then see its menu as a second menu to some up. If you use the grub2 boot to a partition, you will not see a menu, and it will just boot the newest kernel.

I had just started to learn grub legacy and they came out with grub2 and grub2 does not like to be chain loaded. I hated it along with many posters. But with better documentation (see just about any post by drs305) and a better understanding of grub2 I now use it for everything. Like the fellow who only has a hammer so everything looks like a nail, I think everything now can be booted with grub2. I have grub2 installed on every drive and USB flash drive. I boot ISOs directly from flash or hard drive. I even downloaded a Windows7 repair CD copied to a flash drive and made it boot with grub2, so I could add a couple more repair ISOs on the same flash drive. But all of this took several years of learning & experimenting with grub2.
    Last edited by oldfred; October 30th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12