Migrate hosted virtual Ubuntu server 8.04 to 10.04 [within 7 days]
I need to migrate my healthy 8.04 install to a new machine provided by my hosting company Hosteurope (due to harddisk capacities and better performance on the new product)
Hosteurope provides a parallel installation for 7 days, so within this timespan I need to migrate the following packages and data (among others) to the new machine:
- MySQL (including several TYPO3 and Wordpress installations)
- OpenSSL (no signed certificate)
- Ruby on Rails + Passenger (Redmine installation)
- Sendmail (No Mailboxes, only for sending mails)
Ho would you approach this task?
- My idea was to upgrade my 8.04 distro to 10.04 first.
- Then install all packages that i need on the new machine (using the package list exported by dpkg --get-selection )
- Then send all configurations to the new machine with rsync.
- Then fiddle around (I am a little bit afraid of messing things up here....)
Any other strategies, experiences?
Last edited by jesuspresley; October 29th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Netbook: Samsung NC10 Netbook 1GB RAM | Win XP
Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 3200 | Win 7
Server: Ubuntu Server 8.04 | Ubuntu Server 10.04