Thread: Wireless connectivity in Ubuntu Server 10.04.3

Beans

Wireless connectivity in Ubuntu Server 10.04.3

Hey, haven't posted here in a while because I gave up on Ubuntu a while ago, but I'm giving it another go. I'm not impressed though :/

So I've been trying to connect Ubuntu Server 10.04.3 to the internet with a USB wireless adapter (Netgear WG111v2), and after 6 hours of frustratingly playing around, I got it to work (could ping google.com etc). The problem is, the connectivity was lost after a reboot.. I don't know how I got it to work for a second, it seemed like a miracle. I tried re-running the commands I used before this "miracle", but nothing worked.

Here's a bit of info:

Code:
    iwlist scanning
    Looks good. ESSID and all other details show up.

However,

Code:
    iwconfig
    doesn't. It states

Code:
    ESSID:off/any

I've tried following every howto out there and running basically every possible network related command, so don't bombard me with run this, run that, because none of them work.

I've got files like /etc/network/interfaces set up as well, so don't tell me how to configure those.. I just need to know how to connect to the network which shows up in iwconfig scanning.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Wireless connectivity in Ubuntu Server 10.04.3

Thanks for all the help guys, but never mind about that, I ended up installing the xubuntu GUI and using it's network manager to connect.

I only have one question now, if I uninstall the GUI, will the network still be configured?

Beans

Re: Wireless connectivity in Ubuntu Server 10.04.3

Quote Originally Posted by dylan_m View Post
    if I uninstall the GUI, will the network still be configured?
    It depends. You may have to configure it manually as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags