Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NO SOUND THROUGH HDMI (Radeon HD 4200) ON UBUNTU 11.10

Beans

Re: NO SOUND THROUGH HDMI (Radeon HD 4200) ON UBUNTU 11.10

Hi I did the editing and update of grub (both 1 and 2) but no luck so far.

I did get audio using the fglrx drivers but this time the screen was over-scanned (had about an inch of black boarders).

I use HD6970 and 11.10 any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good day everyone,

I was having a similar problem with my new box. I checked my proprietary drivers (due to some of the things that were said on this thread) and noticed my graphic drivers were not enabled. I downloaded, enabled and reset my machine and now my sound works. I also noticed that video is not speed up any more. Hope this helps anyone else that are having these issues, and thank you for the help of everyone on this thread.

TBRMInsanity
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
    - Martin Golding

Beans

bump

Beans

Just go to Aditional Drivers and update the available drivers. I had the exact same problem with the hd 4200 and worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sarin_cv View Post
    This also solved my issues. This thread should be marked SOLVED

Beans

Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm having this same problem. Forgive me if what I'm about to say shows me up as the technical dunce I know I am, but here's my issue and what I've done:

- New build PC with Gigabyte 880GM mobo and Radeon HD 4200 graphics running Oneiric

- Sound > Sound Settings > Hardware and > Output both set to Digital Stereo (HDMI), but speaker test produces nothing

- Additional Drivers shows me ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver and ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates) as options. I installed and activated the first with no problem, but when I then selected and attempted to activate the post-release updates version I got the following error message:

Code:
    Sorry, installation of this driver failed.

Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log
    Unfortunately I don't know how to read that log file (told you I was a dunce!). I found this relating to that error message but I don't know if that's actually my issue, and I don't want to start fixing things that don't need fixing.

- I've been into the grub file and made the radeon.audio=1 amendment, but that makes no difference.

Can anyone advise the village idiot on this, please?

Edit: by removing the fglrx driver and reverting to the open source drivers (using this process, I now have sound and proper playback speed via HDMI. However, that introduces a slightly different problem, which is that I can't get the desktop to display in widescreen on my Phillips TV which is serving as the monitor without it disappearing off the sides - I have to run in 4:3 which isn't the end of the world, but is a pain. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Johnny English; March 4th, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

Running AMD x64 CPU with nForce 430 Chipset and Radeon HD5770. Managed to get HDMI audio working on my TV on 12.04 by installing proprietary AMD drivers. I followed the instructions found here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

I followed the instructions found under Manually Installing Catalyst 12.4 and finally got an output for the command fglrxinfo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sarin_cv View Post
    This solved my issue. Radeon 4200HD, Ubuntu 12.10, HDMI

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123