Thread: Youtube on eMac (10.04)

Beans

Youtube on eMac (10.04)

I have a 1 ghz eMac running Ubuntu 10.04 (somewhat) smoothly.

I want to play youtube videos, or rather, youtube audio. I've read that flash isn't supported, but I've also read that gnash somewhat works.

What's the best solution for me? I'd love to play flash video, but at the end of the day, youtube audio only would suffice. There has to be some workaround.

I have non-tech friends using this computer, so I'd rather not have to download every video or have some sort of commandline hack. The more user friendly, the better.
    Last edited by switz; February 15th, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Youtube on eMac (10.04)

Flash video isn't going to work for you. Even if you have an x86 machine, 1ghz isn't really enough to decode the high-def content that is out there now. That said, try installing browser-plugin-lightspark and see how it works. I've had better luck with that than gnash....but still, don't expect much out of it...

You'll probably have to download the file, and then strip the audio if you really want the audio from a video...maybe there's a more elegant solution?

Beans

Okay, what I've noticed is HTML5 performance on the eMac truly isn't that poor. It runs pretty darn smoothly. The only problem I'm having now is the audio quality is very subpar. It's unlistenable it's so bad. I tried modifying some audio settings to no avail.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is it just on youtube videos where you have bad audio? What about just playing an mp3 or something off of the hard drive?

Beans

I installed all of the necessary audio plugins (mp3, flac, etc) and now the audio is crystal clear!!! Youtube runs decently smooth. I installed noscript and that definitely lets websites run significantly smoother.