Thread: black screen acer lappy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

black screen acer lappy

Black screen on boot after upgrade manager ran ubuntu 11.04
    . I can kind of see the login screen. I used to be able to correct this by running previous versions of Ubuntu. Now that produces a black screen as well. I figured Id make a boot disk for 11.1 but I can't get the computer to boot off it. Now I get a .rar file instead of an .iso file and when I extract I can't make a boot disk.

I'm pretty stuck here, any help appreciated

FattyZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: black screen acer lappy

I had a similar problem what i did to fix it was.

When ubuntu is at the boot screen press Esc to get the grub menu up.
    Find the default ubuntu kernel. It is the top one, instead of hitting enter hit the E key.
    use the arrow keys to get to the area that says
    Code:
    Quiet splash
    go to the end of that line and type
    Code:
    nomodeset
    then press Ctrl+X to boot.
    This will work until you restart. It may be at a terrible resolution though. Once i got it to boot this way i then ran the update manager and it fixed itself. Don't know if it will work with you though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thx! That worked. The res looks a bit off but i'm sure it'll be easier now that the system comes up.

I had searched around before and most of the solutions were beyond my limited capacity as a linux user. I could not even read a lot of them. There was one other one that said to type in a different code at the same spot but it either did not work or I typed it in wrong.

Lots of replies along these lines assume you understand the syntax required, I don't.

I'm doing the distro upgrade to 11.1 in hopes all will be well again, then I'll mark this solved. : )

Thx again,

FattyZ
    Last edited by fattyz; October 29th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

FAIL Still get black screen at start up p;us now I have to get used to a new thing and try to get my settings back,(classic mode for me) sigh. It says I'm a guest on my own system, oh well. This is quite a bug. Thanks for your solution though as it works with both versions and at least I am up and running.

FattyZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NOT SOLVED but I have all working by selecting 'previous Linux versions' from bootloader and everything else so good bye.

FattyZ

Ubuntu classic desktop, Compiz Fusion and Emerald, what else is there?