Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Optimus - Bumblebee or Ironhide?

Beans

Re: Nvidia Optimus - Bumblebee or Ironhide?

Quote Originally Posted by akoskm View Post
    You are getting low framerates, look like only intel is working (OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile).
    In my test I got around ~1k which indicates that the nvidia card was working too, however I'm not sure should it switch on by default on such test like glxspheres...
    Thanks. Intel-only is fine by me for now. To be honest I could not figure out when settings I should use in Ironhide during installation.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

Hi, I installed Bumblebee from stable ppa. I used nVidia driver from official repository (not ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates). When I used optirun, it shows error message "Bumblebee X server failed to start" and "Failed to initialize nVidia GPU at PCI:2:0:0" in /var/log/Xorg.8.log. Then I activated nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates in Additional Drivers. Now glxspheres, glxgears, etc. won't work without optirun! Also the Unity interface now displays with some errors. Any ideas why Bumblebee did not work? Thanks.

P.S.:My laptop configurations are given in the first message in this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by baby_panda View Post
    Hi, I installed Bumblebee from stable ppa. I used nVidia driver from official repository (not ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates).
    Don't install any of the restricted drivers like nvidia-current and such, ironhide will take care about those things.
    You will find the basic instructions about enabling your cards on the project site:
    http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspo...including.html

Good luck.
    You should wipe out everything related to nvidia and read my first post again.

Beans

You should wipe out everything related to nvidia and read my first post again.
    Hi, I think I should clarify. I initially installed Bumblebee without manually installing the nvidia-current driver. nvidia-current was fetched automatically by the package manager during installation. Then it showed the error "Bumblebee X server failed to start". After that, I manually activated the nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates drivers in Additional Drivers. Still some other errors occurred as mentioned in my previous message.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by baby_panda View Post
    Hi, I think I should clarify. I initially installed Bumblebee without manually installing the nvidia-current driver. nvidia-current was fetched automatically by the package manager during installation. Then it showed the error "Bumblebee X server failed to start". After that, I manually activated the nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates drivers in Additional Drivers. Still some other errors occurred as mentioned in my previous message.
    In Additional drivers dialog both nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates are inactive after installing ironhide (not sure about bumblebee).
    Anyway, so far we were talking about Ironhide, have you tried to install that?

Beans

I installed ironhide, but I got many errors during installation end. I even get errors while disabling and enabling card. I get this with ironhide-disablecard:
    Code:
    ERROR: Module nvidia_current does not exist in /proc/modules
    _DSM Disabling nVidia card succeeded.
    _PS3 Disabling nVidia card succeeded.
    And this with ironhide-enablecard:
    Code:
    _PS0 Enabling nVidia card succeeded.
    FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic-pae/updates/dkms/nvidia_current.ko): No such device
    But still, laptop gets much cooler and more quiet instantly, ironhide seems to be working for me!
    I have Dell Inspiron N5110 with i3-2310M and Nvidia 525M.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Donce View Post
    I installed ironhide, but I got many errors during installation end. I even get errors while disabling and enabling card. I get this with ironhide-disablecard:
    Code:
    ERROR: Module nvidia_current does not exist in /proc/modules
    _DSM Disabling nVidia card succeeded.
    _PS3 Disabling nVidia card succeeded.
    And this with ironhide-enablecard:
    Code:
    _PS0 Enabling nVidia card succeeded.
    FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current (/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic-pae/updates/dkms/nvidia_current.ko): No such device
    But still, laptop gets much cooler and more quiet instantly, ironhide seems to be working for me!
    I have Dell Inspiron N5110 with i3-2310M and Nvidia 525M.
    Hi!
    Same thing happened to me, same configuration (except that this is i5). I don't know any reliable solutions for this so far. The truth is that my both cards were running at the same time, regardless to the events.

Beans

So is Ironhide still the latest and most updated? Or is the Bumblebee project? Will either of these work with 10.04?

Beans

I've got Bumblebee project working fine on 11.10 with power management by following this guide http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/201...11-10-oneiric/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SavageCHRIS View Post
    I've got Bumblebee project working fine on 11.10 with power management by following this guide http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/201...11-10-oneiric/
    Anyone know if this will work with 10.10? I'm new to Ubuntu so I'm not too sure. Also, should I just go ahead and upgrade all the way to 11.10? Is it stable now?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast