Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Installation timeout

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    35

    Re: Installation timeout

    When i run the ubuntu without recovery mode it gets purple for 15 secs and then black and that's it.
    This sounds like a problem with your video card. From the output of lspci you've got two video cards, one Intel onBoard and one nVidia.

    How do you switch between them? In the BIOS, perhaps? When you're able to switch via BIOS, switch to the onBoard one. When you're not able to switch like that, crawl down and remove the nVidia card from the slot and then boot.

    After booting a regular system you can prepare for using the nVidia card.

    I hope this helps you a little bit, but I confess I don't know too much about this new graphic cards of ATI/AMD and nVidia and how do you configure them in Ubuntu. But I'm sure folks in here know how to do it.

    Good luck

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    15

    Re: Installation timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by deloquencia View Post
    This sounds like a problem with your video card. From the output of lspci you've got two video cards, one Intel onBoard and one nVidia.

    How do you switch between them? In the BIOS, perhaps? When you're able to switch via BIOS, switch to the onBoard one. When you're not able to switch like that, crawl down and remove the nVidia card from the slot and then boot.

    After booting a regular system you can prepare for using the nVidia card.

    I hope this helps you a little bit, but I confess I don't know too much about this new graphic cards of ATI/AMD and nVidia and how do you configure them in Ubuntu. But I'm sure folks in here know how to do it.

    Good luck
    i cant switch in the bios :/ Do you want me to plug out the external nvidia card or? How will this resolve the problem?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    35

    Re: Installation timeout

    It won't solve it, but we'll get to know what the problem is. At the moment it's only a hunch...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Installation timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyy View Post
    So i've been trying all day to get ubuntu on my MSI ge620 dx laptop.

    I've tried 32bit as well as 64bit on a pendrive and a dvd.

    this seems to be the error i get. I cannot figure out what is wrong myself.

    udevd[105]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:v00008086d00000116sv0000146sd0000108Dbc03sc00i 00' [209]

    screenshot:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/fotofot.jpg/

    Please help

    I solved the same problem.
    At boot, when ubuntu lets you set some options, press F6 and disable the "modesetting" option.
    msn : mas_dero@hotmail.com; skype: masdero

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: Installation timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyy View Post
    So i've been trying all day to get ubuntu on my MSI ge620 dx laptop.

    I've tried 32bit as well as 64bit on a pendrive and a dvd.

    this seems to be the error i get. I cannot figure out what is wrong myself.

    udevd[105]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:v00008086d00000116sv0000146sd0000108Dbc03sc00i 00' [209]

    screenshot:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/fotofot.jpg/

    Please help
    I had the EXACT same problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by MadeR View Post
    I solved the same problem.
    At boot, when ubuntu lets you set some options, press F6 and disable the "modesetting" option.
    This solved it for me too (i.e. I was able to get to the install guide), but I'm going to be a bit more precise. When you press F6, you move down to select the "nomodeset" and not modesetting (nitpicking I know, but for novice user, every bit of help is sometimes needed), and press enter so a little "X" appears to the left (yes this guide is for dummies).

    Btw I have a notebook MSI GE620 DX too (this is both for info and search engines so other users can't find the same problem easier).
    Last edited by DevonHartigan; February 21st, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typos

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    19
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Installation timeout

    Thank you so much!!! This worked for my attempts at installing Lubuntu 11.10 and I will shortly try Kubuntu before Ubuntu 12.4 comes out. I'm Soooo thankful!!! I was about to remove sata cables from other drives to isolate as my 790i Ultra SLI has 4 drives in it. Windows is on sda and nothing would install in sdb. The setting you described got me back into the install since I have 2 Nvidia 550 Ti cards and it is working. Awesome.

    Kubuntu loaded. had to use the grub edit as well. All worked. I'm so excited. Thanks again.

    B
    Last edited by rollingthunderb; April 24th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •