Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do I need a Firewall for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Do I need a Firewall for Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by youknowme View Post
    Humm - seems a bit paranoid to me. Script kiddies would not know how to bypass my router even if they had the admin password to it. If a serious attacker really wanted to get you, they would probably get you regardless with some zero day exploit.

I think a firewall is good if you have the time to configure / understand it. But how far do we take security? IDS, snort, tripwires, reading logs every day??? Router security is often enough for a home user IMHO - But this was a jolly good thread.
    I don't think script kiddies, they may have different level of skill, cannot bypass your firewall or router.

Intruder can attack your box not only by using zero day exploit. They have many methods to do so. They can bypass IDS/IPS, Anti-virus, firewall and WAF. Please don't look them down or you may felt a great regret.

Intruder attacks home users for many reasons. Sometimes, they do that are not for stealing data or money.

How about intruder captures images from your webcam when your webcam is turned on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

Thank you Dangertux for such an informative article.

There were many things I had taken for granted, but your article has really made me aware.

Thank you once again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread is closed.

The information is now held on the community wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DoINeedAFirewall

Thank you for your thread and the work you have done in keeping it current and of use to the community.

A thread for discussion of the wiki can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12088432

Support threads regarding the wiki and it's content should be created in a suitable forum.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456