Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Firewall for Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Do I need a Firewall for Ubuntu?

+1 for putting the first post on the official Ubuntu documentation. It's easy to read, it uses references with really good names and doesn't contain any extraneous information.

I don't think I've read anything so simple and concise on the topic, ever. It's obviously not comprehensive, but it does what it should: convince people that a firewall isn't a bad idea.

Beans

thanks .. i don't know this much about ubuntu . I am trying to install ubuntu . Thanks a lot again ..

Beans

Thanks for this. I had always thought IP tables were actively useful by default.

Beans

Firewall is the which is required for each and every transaction.
    there are different types of firewall.The firewall are different for LAN, WAN and MAN.
    so according to that you can use the firewall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Incredibly helpful for a newbie with connection and firewall issue's.

And the golden globe goes to:
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 18th, 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: snipped quote of OP.

Beans

Do I need a Firewall for Ub

Always use a Firewall. Within 4 mins of placing my new static IPs on the internet ARP request through Comcast business my IPs were scanned from non ARIN allocated IPs for various vulnerabilities. They dont even have DNS names associated with them yet.Antivirus alone is down to about 12 effectiveness against malware and infection. Its still a must, but your surfing habits and not running Javascript by default noscript on FireFox will go a lot further.

Beans

Wink Re: Do I need a Firewall for Ubuntu?

still it is way to safer than windows

Beans

Hie. I am suffering with same problem. Thanks for the great information.
    Regards
    Amily

Beans

A firewall can be used for a lot of things... You don't need an anti-virus, but by default Ubuntu doesn't have any ports open... However, sometimes it's good to block apps from accessing the internet, so a firewall can be useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertux View Post
    Additionally, in terms of browser security we can take another step by using a browser extension like NoScript for Firefox or NotScripts for Chrome.
    NotScripts is a poor performing application and does not provide adequate security. Instead use ScriptNo: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ijlflahbdbdgdf

Quote Originally Posted by SparTacux View Post
    The only thing I'd add to that is the usefulness of Firewall Logs especially SYSLOG from modem detailing ALL inbound & Outbound Traffic. Being able to SEE ( in Real-Time ) what is happening greatly adds to overall security.
    This is where Ubuntu is seriously lacking compared to Windows and Mac. Ubuntu can't even create a log of what applications attempt to make internet connections.
    Last edited by nrundy; February 17th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast